Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

currency determination problem

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Ricardo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:33 pm

Using the v10 beta, still not getting the correct currency for a sub portfolio automatically when retrieving a new symbol. All my .dat files are in the same folder - I wasted some time trying separate folders for AU and US markets, but conclude from other posts it shouldn't matter. I guess the dat file holds the information as to which sub portfolio a symbol belongs.
When I do a retrieve of a new symbol I am in the appropriate sub portfolio, and the new symbol ends up here correctly. However it is failing to establish the currency from the other symbols in the sub folder, and is still defaulting to my default currency of $NZ. (and hence value in cash account is wrong)
Is it me or the program - (the last v9 upgrade did this too, but I was too busy to tell you)
Thanks in advance - fixing this and Fund Manager goes from very good to excellent.
Ricardo

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi Ricardo,

Here's the algorithm that is used to determine the currency of automatically created new investments:

1) Look through all sub-portfolios for other investments with the same symbol. If there is 1 or more other existing investments and they all have the same currency, then that currency is used. If there are no other investments with this symbol, or there is a conflict among the currency settings of these investments, then go to step 2.

2) If all other investments in the sub-portfolio where the new investment is being created have the same currency, use that. Otherwise, use the default currency.

The location of the .dat file on your computer does not matter.

Are you observing something different than this algorithm describes?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Ricardo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:09 pm

I can see where the problem lies.
"If ALL other investments in the sub portfolio have the same currency ..."
In my case, in my US portfolio, all, except one, are USD.
The exception is NZDUSD=X, which has currency set to NZD.

How do I get round this?

(and thanks for the amazingly quick response)
Ricardo

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:32 pm

Hi Ricardo,

I assume you're using NZDUSD=X as an exchange rate investment under "Options / Currency Settings..."? If so, put this in its own sub-portfolio, not in your account. Exchange rate investments can be located anywhere, and it is usually best to keep them in their own sub-portfolio, so they aren't shown as part of your actual accounts. For example:

Code: Select all
Master Portfolio
  - My Accounts
    + Broker 1
    + Mutual Fund
  - Exchange Rates

Also, exchange rate investments can be assigned to any currency you want. You generally don't own any shares, and the currency assigned to an exchange rate investment is not used for the conversion assignment, that is done under "Options / Currency Settings...".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Ricardo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:56 pm

Thank you Mark, you have made my day.

My daily routine will be easier now as over half my trades are for stocks not yet in a sub portfolio.

Your service is tops!
Ricardo

Return to General