Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

handling cash account

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby gerhardps » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:29 am

When I started using the program a few days ago I didn't understand the cash account very well, and I think I did not set one up for the portfolio I entered. Is there a way to add a cash account now (I've entered a ton of transactions and dont want to have to enter them all over again).
thanks for the help
gerhardps

Postby Mark » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:25 pm

Hi Gerhardps,

Yes, you can create a new cash investment and assign it as your default cash account under the "Portfolio Properties..." dialog. Just assigning a cash account does not retroactively go back and cause all the corresponding buys/sells to be subtracted/added into the cash account. Only transactions entered while the cash account is assigned will have this effect. You can still record any transactions you need in your cash account to get it to the right balance.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gerhardps » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:55 pm

Thanks for the help. One last question and then I think I'm all set. What setting do I need to make sure that I get the closing price for the previous day loaded in? I am using yahoo real time as my default. I noticed that stocks would show up with a closing price a few cents off, so I would change the setting to historical yahoo and update for the previous day and then revert back to real time. Is there an easier/automatic way to do this or is this the only way.

thanks
gerhardps

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:32 pm

Hi gerhardps,

I can't think of a much easier way... The Yahoo Realtime quote server will get after hour quotes as well, so if you're retrieving using that server after the market has closed, you may not get the actual closing price for that day, but instead an after-hours price. You can do as you have been, change the quote server to Yahoo or Yahoo (Historical), and do another retrieve to get the actual closing price.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General