Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

What is the configuraton file for FM?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby lucabol » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:37 pm

Hi,
I just had to reinstall FM. I can open my account file just fine, but my configuration (i.e. customized reports, asset types etc...) is not there anymore.

I thought it was stored in the account file. Where is it and how can I associate it with FM again?

Thanks,
.luca
lucabol

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:13 pm

Hi Luca,

The portfolio file (*.mm4) stores information associated with that portfolio, like your sub-portfolio hierarchy, which investments are in each sub-portfolio, what windows to open, etc. Global preferences, like memorized reports, category labels, etc are stored in the registry at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Beiley Software\Fund Manager

If you uninstall Fund Manager that will remove these preferences from the registry. If you have any Fund Manager backups (*.fmb), you can use that to restore the registry values.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby lucabol » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:45 pm

Hi Mark,
I restored from a previous backup. It didn't work. I still don't see my memorized reports or asset definition.

.luca
lucabol

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:13 am

Hi Luca,

Did your backup show it had the registry settings in it? Some do not... If you use 'regedit', and go look here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Beiley Software\Fund Manager\CurrentVersion\MEMORIZED REPORT NAMES

do you see your memorized reports?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby lucabol » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:00 pm

Hi Mark,
I don't know how to check if the backup has registry settings in it. If I look in the registry I don't see the entry you mentioned.

.luca
lucabol

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi Luca,

When you do "File / Restore..." the "Files in Backup" listbox will list all the files in your backup file. If you see a "Global Preferences (registry values)", then your backup contains the required registry values.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby lucabol » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:11 pm

It doesn't. Was it a not default option I was supposed to check somewhere?

.luca
lucabol

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:33 pm

Hi Luca,

The current method used for backing up the registry requires the user to have admin permissions. From the online help:

"Registry backup and restore functionality requires the user to have administrative permissions. The registry backup/restore functionality is not available under Windows 98 or ME. To enable administrative permissions under Vista, either run with User Account Control (UAC) turned off, or start Fund Manager as an administrator. When running backup/restores without these permissions the registry backup will be skipped, but the other data files will continue to be backed up."

This is something we've improved for the next major update, but if you're running Vista with UAC turned on, you won't get the registry preferences in your backup...

Any idea how the registry section went missing in the first place? Do you think you uninstalled Fund Manager?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby lucabol » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:34 pm

Thanks Mark,
I installed a new operating system on the machine and reinstalled FM afterward. That teaches me not to be an admin.

.luca
lucabol

Return to General