Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Unwanted autoscaling on grafts

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby mayhaw9999 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:37 pm

I like to set scaling for each investment to utilize the entire screen. I have two sub-portfolios set up and the problem can happen in either. Today, when I opened the smaller portfolio, all of the investments had been autoscaled. I have multiple small investments in high-income preferreds and baby bonds so I like to reset the scale to allow small changes in price to show up easily. Why did this occur?
I read a thread from 2019 with someone having a similar problem in the cost-value graft. I only use Grafts - Portfolio Value, Share Price and Price + Distributions. I did pull a report for portfolio performance yesterday. Since all of the holdings in the small portfolio are now at Schwab, I was trying to reconcile a small difference in the value shown in Fund Manager and Schwab. Could this have caused the problem? However, in the larger portfolio, the same investments were not autoscaled. I did not do a report from the larger portfolio that contained the entire family's investments.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

David
mayhaw9999

Postby Mark » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:04 am

Hi David,

If you close the graph window, you'll lose all your custom scaling settings, and it will revert to autoscale, as the default. Opening a report shouldn't have any impact on your graph scaling. The other possibility is maybe you hit a keyboard shortcut which could revert to autoscale. To make sure you save your preferences, keep the graph window open, and use "File / Save Portfolio" after making your changes.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby mayhaw9999 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:10 pm

How am I actually closing the graft window to cause this? I rescaled a few investments yesterday. They were still as I scaled them when I opened the program today. Then after reading your note, I rescaled a few more, saved as you suggested (I also have save investments and portfolios on exit selected as an option), closed the program and all was well. I opened the program again, I went to Windows - close all grafts, and every investment was autoscaled. I have never closed grafts with the Window option. I close reports often there.
I still don't get it.
mayhaw9999

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:46 am

Hi mayhaw9999,

You can close the graph window with any of these:

- Window / Close All Graphs
- Window / Close (or the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + F4)
- By pressing the "Close" button (looks like an X) in the upper/right corner of a window

The scaling settings are memorized on a per-graph window basis, so if it gets closed, when you re-open a new graph window, it starts off with the defaults, which are to autoscale.

On a slightly different note, if you want a "tighter" autoscale, you can turn on:

Graphs / Options / Display... / Y Axis Autoscale / Use Exact Min/Max

I'm not sure how you're manually scaling, but this might be an option for your needs.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby mayhaw9999 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:17 am

Thanks, Mark.
It must be the X! I sometimes use that to exit quickly. I don't like the exact max/min option. I want a little wiggle room.

David
mayhaw9999

Return to General