Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Import Tranactions from excel spreadsheet or txt format

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Cole » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:00 am

Hi Mark,

Vanguard recently changed 403b service providers. The previous service provider had an option to download transactions in the format of money.ofx file, which made it easy to import client transactions.

That option is gone. I can now only download transactions as an excel file or Text (txt) file. Is there a resource I can use to teach myself how to import transactions using either of these formats?

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving.
Cole

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:30 am

Hi Cole,

Is your account available through Vanguard? If so, you could also use the transaction retrieve feature. It is much easier than downloading/importing.

If you do end up downloading/importing, you can use the command:

File / Import / Transactions / Generic...

That can import a .CSV or .TXT file, but it is a bit complicated to use. You have to format your importing file in a manner compatible with Fund Manager, like using our transaction codes, etc. You then provide it a "format string", that tells FM how your importing file is formatted, like the date is in the first column, the transaction code is in the second, etc. Press the "Help..." button in that dialog box for detailed instructions/examples.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Cole » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:35 am

Transaction retrieve doesn't work with Vanguard 403b accounts as 403b accounts are serviced by 3rd party. Thanks for the quick response.
Cole

Postby Cole » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:47 am

Transaction retrieve doesn't work with Vanguard 403b accounts as 403b accounts are serviced by 3rd party. Thanks for the quick response.
Cole

Return to General