Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Sub-portfolio

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby SunilB » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:05 am

Is there an easy way to create a duplicate sub-portfolio that brings over all the historical transactions, etc from the existing one?

I am debating whether to create a new portfolio with that sub-portfolio, or just create a new sub-portfolio within my existing portfolio. Any recommendations on that are also welcome.
SunilB

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:13 pm

Hi SunilB,

What are you making a copy for? Do you want the new sub-portfolio to have the same investments, or copies of them, so you can make them different? If you want the same investments (a 2nd instance of the same investment) you can just use copy/paste. If you want a new investment, but with the same data, use "File / File Operations / New Investment from Existing...".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby SunilB » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:22 am

I am combining a new 5-stock strategy (not on Fund Manager) with my existing one but I want to be able to maintain the history and continue tracking my original "base" portfolio on its own going forward.

I was thinking of having my original portfolio and the new combined portfolio as two different sub-portfolios.

If I copy and paste the Fund Manager Portfolio file (.mm4), will that create a new sub-portfolio or will it create an entirely new portfolio? If creating a new portfolio is the only way to do this, then that is fine.

If I have to create a "New Investment From Existing" for each of the stocks in my portfolio, that is fine, too. But for that process I guess I will need to create a new sub-portfolio first (can you remind me how to do that?)

Let me know. Thanks.
SunilB

Postby Mark » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:34 pm

Hi SunilB,

You don't want to copy the *.mm4 file for this. You can use the Portfolio Editor window to copy/paste a sub-portfolio. When you do this, it will put another copy of all the same investments into the new sub-portfolio. This means you'll have 2 copies of each of these investments open. They are the same investment, so when you make an edit, it will show up in both places. You have 2 instances of the same investment file. Maybe this is what you want, I'm not sure. If you want them to be the same, this would work. However, if you are planning to record different transactions in each, then you don't want this. In that case, you need to create a 2nd investment file, so you have 2 investment files, and each one is only open once.

For help on using the Portfolio Editor, I'd suggest watching the Portfolio Editor Tutorial and also the Sub-Portfolio Tutorial.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General