Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Alerts Question

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby 4Profits » Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:30 am

Mark,

I have been using the alert Current date passes Trigger Date. I have never gotten an alert that shows up in the alert popup window. I have gone back and checked a few of these stocks and they still show active For example I want to close an option trade by say 10/12 for an option that expires on 10/20 I can configure a
- Current Date Passes Trigger Date or
- Latest Price Date Passes Trigger Date
if entered Today on 11/4 it will enter it without saying alert expired.
Is there a way to set an alert message when the current date passes a certain date?

While discussing Alerts I have a few additional Alert questions/wants.
1. It would be nice to set a trailing alert to a Dollar value or a % value.
2. I sell short stocks and sell puts. Is there a way to do a Trailing Stop that is a % or $ amount above the current price and Decreases as the as the investment decreases but stays the same if the price rises. It would act just the opposite of FM"s current stop loss. This could help preserve profit on these types of investments.

Thanks, Jim
4Profits

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:20 am

Hi Jim,

Yes, you can set an alert to go off when the current date passes a specific date. What are you using for a "Trigger Date"? You either need to use a date type custom investment property, or the maturity date of a bond. For example, if you want to use a custom investment property, set up one of your custom properties under "Options / Custom Investment Properties..." to have a "Type" of "Date". Once you do this, go to the Properties... of one of your investments that you want an alert for, and under the "Custom" tab, set the desired trigger date under the custom investment property you designated as a date. When creating the alert, make sure to choose this same custom investment property as your trigger date.

On the feedback:
1) You can do the % now, but not value. Are you asking to make value also available as an entry?

2) Okay, understood.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby 4Profits » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:26 pm

Mark,
I have tried everything to get the E-Mail alerts to go through.
- I went to my mail client and copied the the Outgoing server settings with cut and pasted them into the FM alert options config screen and verified them.
- I then initialize a test and FM just says initializing.

I am not sure when the message comes in but I get it several times a day. I keep looking at the statement
"The email address you are sending as must match the email address you use to auth."
I am sending with my main email user with the correct pop server and port number. What I don't know is the email I must match to that I used to auth. -- That was years ago and many addresses ago.
How can I find out this or use an alias, since this address has changed and is now I assume is just a forwarding address, but I know it is just a receiving address not an outgoing address.

I never had this problem until the last upgrade in versions.
Jim
4Profits

Postby Mark » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:55 pm

Hi Jim,

I'd focus on getting the "Test" button working. If that isn't working, then your actual email alerts won't work. It sounds like the test is just getting stuck. If you wait long enough, does it timeout with an error? I'm guessing that maybe you have some antivirus or firewall type software that is preventing FM from connecting to your mail server on the specified port? Since this problem started when you installed the new version, this can sometimes trigger these types of software programs to no longer allow access, as the executable that used to have permissions has changed.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby 4Profits » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:55 pm

Mark,
I have been working on the test button on and off today, letting it run till it failed and every time I got the same error. I have completely disabled my anti-virus and firewall. But every time I get the same error, but when I go back in to look at the alert sending configuration it always defaults to the old server and e-mail Finally I changed the configuration again saved it and exited. then I saved my portfolio and investments and exited FundManager. I then went back in and confirmed the options alert configuration was correct, which it was. This time when I hit the test button I immediately got a different FM error message.
" Sender Rejected: 550 bosauthsmpt12: Host 74.137.211.146: No unauthenticated relaying permitted" but I also get my message E-Mail Test In Progress "Sending Mail Headers" and it just stays on the screen. I will let it run overnight and see if it ever times out.

Jim
4Profits

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:59 pm

Hi Jim,

Do you have on the option:

"My Server Requires Authentication"

? Maybe you can email me a screenshot of your email configuration dialog box.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General