Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Stock Name changed / Same Symbol

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby sbfree » Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:30 pm

Not sure how to handle that a common stock name is different when reconciling but has the same symbol. The symbol is J and recently it took on new parent company name. I have owned it for > 5 years and it has quarterly dividends. When I go to reconcile the account I am asked if I would like to create a new investment new name and old symbol. Any guidance on how to account for this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
scott
sbfree

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:05 pm

Hi Scott,

Reconciling from your broker works off CUSIP, not symbol, so if you update the CUSIP property that should fix the mismatch issue.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sbfree » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:10 am

Thank you. Getting the CUSIP was not easy and it turned out that looking at the log file was the answer to finding out the information FM was getting. Thanks for introducing me to the logs.
scott
sbfree

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:01 pm

Hi Scott,

Great, glad you got it. In case it happens again, another way to find the CUSIP on an investment coming from the broker, is to click "Edit..." on that item (the one that has 0 shares in FM, and some non-zero statement shares) and when prompted to create a new investment, choose "Yes". You'll see the CUSIP on the New Investment Dialog. You can copy it, and then just "Cancel" that dialog.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General