Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

"Close" investment

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby geazx1 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:32 pm

I have several investments in various portfolios that I no longer own and have a zero value. If I "close" then what exactly happens? Should I close them and/or how do I get them to not update prices when I update all prices that I do own. Thanks.
geazx1

Postby Mark » Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:00 pm

Hello,

It is usually best to “hide” your sold investments instead of closing them. Closing them removes them from your history. To prevent them from retrieving turn off the “Retrieve Price” investment property. You can use the File / File Operations / Hide Sold Investments to do this easily. You might also want to watch the tutorial on hiding investments here:

https://youtu.be/2bb7hSew_8g
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby geazx1 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:08 pm

Thank you, I had not stumbled into "hide" yet and of course makes much more sense!
geazx1

Postby hipped1 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:36 pm

Does having a large number of hidden but not "closed" investments degrade performance of the software over time? Or create issues with licensing?

I've used the hidden approach from the beginning and its unlikely now that I will need transaction history going back 10 years. As an example, one of my portfolios has 75 active investments, but nearly 1,000 hidden investments. (Many of the hidden investments were option positions written against stock positions)

If there is a benefit in closing some of these older positions, is there a mechanism to selectively close positions (i.e. those with no activity in 5 years) or is it a one by one manual process.

Thank you
Mark
hipped1

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:47 pm

Hi Mark,

Yes, hidden investments are still open, so they can affect calculation speed, and they do count against the investment limits. You may very well not notice a speed problem, and if you aren't running into any investment limits, then there may be no real benefit to closing these hidden investments.

If you do want to close some, there isn't a command to help automate it, it is a manual process. You could use the Portfolio Editor, turn on the "Last Transaction" column, sort by that, and then select a bunch of investments at once, and close all of them by right mouse clicking and choosing "Close".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hipped1 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:47 pm

Great suggestion, thank you
hipped1

Return to General