Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Min and Max of a P&L curve for a period of time

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Djobydjoba » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:28 pm

Hi Mark,

I would like to know accurately the min and max of a P&L curve for a date range, that is, the min and max of the values plotted in the the Portfolio Gain graph type.

When the date range is very large it is a bit imprecise to identify visually accurately what the real min and max points are. And if I zoom the graph (narrow the date range) to see the extremum points better, le P&L is of course recalculated for the new date range, so of course this doesn't work.

Is there better way to do that than visually with the Portfolio Gain graph type? Maybe with a report?

Thanks
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:57 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

I was thinking you could do this with a user-defined field in a Custom report, but the Min/Max functions work by evaluating a field for just a single date at a time, over whatever period you specify. See the documentation on how the min/max functions work. In the case you describe you'd want to keep the starting date fixed, and re-calculate gain for a varying ending date, and find the min/max. So, I don't think there is a good way to do this with a report currently. I'd probably suggest one of these 2 options:

1) Use the "Track Ball" cursor, and "Show Labels" for the cursor turned on.

2) Use "File / Export / Other / Graph Data Points..." and open it in Excel to find the min/max
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General