Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Missing symbols

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby cah1942 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:34 pm

I have noticed over the last few months that a symbol will suddenly disappear from my portfolio along with all the data that i have inputted since my original purchase. At first it seemed to be only positions that i had recently purchased so i only lost a few months to less than a year of data. Now it is much worse in that long held positions are disappearing. Yesterday was the trigger that told me that i have to do something because i lost two mutual funds that i have held for 20 years with all the data. What can be done to retrieve my lost data.
cah1942

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:26 am

Hello cah1942,

Have you received any error messages about missing data files when starting FM?

I'd suggest first checking if maybe they aren't just "hidden". Try turning on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios" and see if you can then see them. If not, and you know their filenames, you can re-open them. Use "File / Open Investment(s)..." to re-open them. If you get a warning message that they're already open, this will let you know they're already open, and maybe you're just looking in the wrong sub-portfolio or something. If you don't know the filenames to re-open them, you can always restore from a backup to find out their filenames, and then open them. Before restoring, make a backup of your data now, using "File / Backup...". FM makes automatic backups, so you can restore from one of these. See "Options / General Preferences... / Data" for the location of your automatic backups. Use "File / Restore..." to restore from one with a modified date when you still had these investments. After restoring, find out the filenames under "Investment Properties... / Statistics". Restore your original data and then open up the missing investment file(s).
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General