Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Cash data slow to load

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Bruce » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:08 pm

While entering data I'll use cntl - I and the first letter (repeated as necessary) of what I want to get to that investment. If I have Canadian Pacific, Cash, and Caterpillar and want to get to Cat, that's three strokes of the "C" key. Lately FM gets bogged down filling the window when it gets to "cash". About 4 seconds. Is there a way to fix this?

4 seconds doesn't seem like much, but my brain gets in a groove of hitting the key until I see what I want. It busts up the rhythm and I end up flying by Cat to the following one or two based on buffered keystrokes.

If this helps:
The FM backup size is 69meg. The cash.dat file in question is 214k and has 1,160 transactions.

I also have a few sub-portfolios I'd like to delete completely. Those assets aren't my responsibility... the family member has passed, estate closed, etc. I think "close" just hides them and doesn't delete the .dat files. Is there a way to do this easily? The only way I've thought of is to make a list of all the file names (properties / statistics), then close the sub-portfolio, then hunt down each .dat file and delete it.
Bruce

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:38 pm

Hi Bruce,

What window are you in? I'm not following. Ctrl + I will do a price retrieve? Can you explain a bit more on where you are and what you're doing?

You can "close" the sub-portfolio to remove them. This completely removes them from Fund Manager, but does not delete any data files from the hard drive. Hiding is different than closing. If you really don't want any history of them, just close them, and leave the files alone.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Bruce » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:45 pm

My first shot was a pretty sketchy description. It was short and with important errors. My apologies. I get two questions out of your reply. First is "what window" and second is "what are you doing"?

Perhaps if I start with describing the process. I enter transactions manually. For accounts that are professionally managed, I enter transactions off the statement. For those accounts, I may have a half-dozen pages of statement to fat-finger in. Imagine yourself doing that process. With your time on computers, your fingers are really flying.

Each brokerage account has its own sub-portfolio. (Hypothetically) There is Schwab 1, Schwab 2, Fidelity 1, Fidelty 2, etc.

Let's say we're in "Schwab 1". Schwab 1 has been around for a long time and has assets that we've owned since the 1980's. (I bring that up because I suspect THAT is the root of the problem; I've typed in summary transactions (ex: a year's worth of dividends entered as one transaction) so the cash accounts have a lot of entries. )

Let's say the first transaction on the statement is a dividend for BAC. I double-click on BAC's line and that opens up the data-register window. Alt-N, D (the dividend transaction window opens) and I can enter the dividend. "Enter" closes the transaction window, but the Data Register for BAC is still open.

Next transaction on the statement is a dividend for KO (Coca Cola). With the data register window for BAC still open, I hit alt-I (nothing changes) and "C", and the first asset whose name starts with a C opens in the data register window. Each successive strike of "C" goes to the next assets that starts with a C, looping back to the beginning when the end is reached.

And here's the problem. "Cash", surprisingly, is seldom the first asset in the "C" list of each account. And I've spent 35 years working with data on computers, so my fingers are whacking away expecting it to keep up with me. Again, for example, in our hypothetical Schwab 1 account, maybe the "C" list has Capital Group Growth, Cash, Cat, Coca Cola. But I'm not looking at the list in the portfolio editor; that's covered with the Data Register window, so I don't KNOW that. So ... whack "C" until I get what I want to show. When the Data Register windows spends 4 seconds loading all the cash transactions, I've probably whacked the "C" key one too many times. I over-shoot Coca Cola and have to go around again.

That's what I'm trying to solve ... that big delay while "cash" loads the transactions in the data register window while I'm scrolling through all the "C"s, and the associated over-whacking of the "C" key.
Bruce

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:41 am

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I understand. It sounds like you are under the Data Type of "All Transactions" when the Data Register is loading slowly? There is a "Speed Mode" for the Data Register to deal with this delay, but it only applies when you're under the "Prices" data type, as that is typically the type of data where you have hundreds or thousands of data points that can cause the loading of the list view to take a few seconds. I'm curious, which data type you're on, and also how many lines of data are being loaded when you have this slowness? To find out how many data lines you have, you can select all of them, and copy them to the clipboard, and then paste them into a text editor that shows line numbers.

FYI, the speed mode option is available at "Options / General Preferences... / Data Register Display / Speed Mode (See Online Help)".
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Bruce » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:08 am

Data register / Data Type = All Transactions.

1,172 lines in one register that has about 4 second delay to load.

I think I see where you're going with selecting "Data Type". The statements are organized by transaction type ... so all purchases and sales are entered, then all distributions. If I set the Data Type to "Distrubutions" when I first open the Data Register, then when I get to the "C's", the cash account only lists about 150 entries and there is no delay. I'm assuming that as long as I don't close the Data Register window, it will stay on Data Type = Distributions while I use Alt-I to move from different investments and enter distribution transactions. I don't have an un-entered statement to test that.

I see as a happy bonus that when I hit Alt N, it defaults to the Distribution Transaction window. Nicely done.
Bruce

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:35 pm

Hi Bruce,

We might expand this "Speed Mode" to work for all data types, but the problem usually was more common on the Prices data type. Yes, the "Data Type" should stay as it is set until you change it again.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General