Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Other Error Reading Portfolio

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby SteveP » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:26 pm

I recently upgraded to Fund Manager 2022.17.1.100 which did a data conversion to a new file format. I thought everything had gone fine and I used the program for a while but now I'm coming back to it for the first time and when I try to load the portfolio (an mm4 file) I get other error reading portfolio. Any idea what to do about this? - Steve
SteveP

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:43 pm

Hi SteveP,

You'll need to restore the .mm4 file from a backup. FM makes automatic backups for you, or you can use your own. For the automatic backups, see "Options / General Preferences... / Data" for where your backups are being stored. Once you know the location, use "File / Restore..." and go pick the most recent *.FMB file to restore. When you open it, you'll see a list of all the investments and your portfolio file. Select just the portfolio file, and choose to restore "Selected Items" to "Original Location", and open restored portfolio.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby SteveP » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:43 pm

Thanks Mark, I did as you said but the same problem repeated itself. In each case the file works initially then gives me the error when I come back later. Both the conversion to the new file format and the restore from backup did this. I would like not to have to restore from back up every time. I checked file permissions and they are Full Control. The only thing that happens in between sessions is that I have always had the Task Scheduler update the market prices each day at 4 PM. It uses the command line below:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Fund Manager\Fm.exe" "C:\Users\steve\Documents\Fund Manager\Main.mm4" /I/Q

Any ideas? - Steve
SteveP

Postby SteveP » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:04 pm

I did some checking after doing another restore. I ran shutdown and restart FM fine. I did a historical price update from the menu to cover the dates that were lost in the restore and shutdown. Again I can restart fine. It could be the Task Scheduler price update. I will check this by running manually. It can take an hour to complete which is slow. Either running on a low priority thread or could be a sign of trouble.
SteveP

Postby Mark » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:26 pm

Hi Steve,

Your command line looks fine. That should be okay. You can test it by running that command line, and seeing if that somehow corrupts your portfolio file.

Also, why is it taking an hour to update prices? What kind of update are you doing, and from what server?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General