Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Problem transferring FM to new computer

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby cir » Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:07 am

I am moving FM from a WIN 10 computer to a new WIN 11 computer and followed the instructions in the FAQ Transferring Fund Manager To A New Computer. FM installed successfully and so did the restore. When I opened FM on the new WIN 11 computer, however, all the client data prints very large (like 16-18 font) and the reports are missing their custom labels. The actual program font is normal. I am running Advisor Version 2022.17.0.100. Please advise.
cir

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:39 am

Hi cir,

You might try exiting/re-starting FM after the restore. If this doesn't fix it, try restoring again, and make sure you are restoring everything, including the global registry preferences (which holds your fonts and custom report labels).

Which window are you seeing with very large client data? A report, the Portfolio Editor? In any of the main reports under "Options / Preferences..." there is a tab, like "Portfolio Editor Display", which allows you to set or reset to default all the fonts.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby cir » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:26 am

Hi Mark,

The font issue was in the portfolio editor. I reset to default in "Options / Preferences..." tab, the "Portfolio Editor Display" and that fixed the font issue.

All of the user-defined labels are still missing. For example, when I look in the "Option/Investment type..." none of my user-defined labels show. It's as if they were reset. I have also restored the portfolio and restarted the program again but this did not fix the problem.

When I restored the portfolio, I checked the option to restore everything but did not see a specific option to include the global registry preferences. Can you explain where that option is and I'll try restoring again.
cir

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:45 pm

Hi cir,

If you select to restore everything, that should include the "Global Preferences (registry values)" that are listed under "Files in Backup". Are you running in portable/cloud mode? If not, you should see "Global Preferences (registry values)" in the list.

You might try creating a fresh backup from your old computer, and then restoring on your new computer.

Just for a check, you could use "regedit" to go look at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Beiley Software\Fund Manager\CurrentVersion\miscprefs

and look at the string values starting with:

invtypelbl_

as that is where your custom investment type names are stored. Do you see them there?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby cir » Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:05 pm

I didn't see the custom fields in the registry of the new computer but saw them in the old computer. I had two portfolios I was using on the old computer so I restored the other portfolio backup and that did the trick. Thanks for your help and being so responsive Mark!
cir

Return to General