Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

lost portfolio

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby JeanneMarie » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:58 pm

Mea culpa here. I just noticed that while I was setting up a new portfolio, I did not check save portfolio on exit. So now that it's too late, I've done that. But after a fair amount of work, I now have over 200 *.dat files but no portfolio file. Do I have to delete all these and start from scratch? Or can I somehow establish the intended four sub-portfolios and distribute these securities among them?

Thanks for any advice,
Jeanne
Fund Manager 2022
Windows
JeanneMarie

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:11 am

Hi Jeanne,

Yes, you can open up FM, and use the Portfolio Editor to create your four sub-portfolios. Once you have them created, right mouse click on each one and use "Open Investment(s)...". Select all the investment files that belong in that sub-portfolio to open them. You can select multiples with the Ctrl/Shift keys. Once you're done, use "File / Save Portfolio As..." to save it all to a portfolio file (*.mm4).
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby JeanneMarie » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:21 am

Thanks Mark. My problems have nothing to do with Fund Manager, but... any comment you'd care to make will get serious consideration.

I thought that having left FM 2018 behind three years ago, that I'd be better off starting from scratch with FM 2022. It turns out (as your documentation indicates) that FM remembers a lot across versions. And that means there's a fair amount of work either updating the old file or starting over (with Quicken transfer files). I'll guess that the "answer" hinges almost entirely on the specifics of my data and would almost certainly be different for different users. Still, while I explore this, I'll pay attention to anything you have to say.

Thanks.
Cheers! (?!) :wink:
JeanneMarie

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:36 am

Hi Jeanne,

Yes, you could do either method. If your FM data from a few years ago was in good shape, it might be easier to just update that. On the other hand, if your Quicken data is complete/current, you could import all of that, or maybe just import from Quicken into the old FM data since you stopped using FM.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General