Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Bank sweep balance error

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby larryw » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:37 am

I have an account that after updating to v2022 shows a large negative balance for its bank sweep account. The last time I looked at the account balance was a month or so ago and it agreed with the bank's balance. I've looked at the transaction history and there hasn't been any large activities for the last year or so.

Is there something in the upgrading to v2022 that would affect the balance?
larryw

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:19 pm

Hi larryw,

Upgrading shouldn't change anything here. If you look at the balance as of a month ago, is it still correct (matches the balance from a month ago)? You can do this in a Portfolio Value report, dated a month ago.

If the balance is correct a month ago, but not today, look in the Data Register under "All Transactions" at any transactions you have recorded since the last date the balance was correct.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby larryw » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:29 pm

I've selected random dates going back to 2019 and every case has the bank sweep balance showing between negative 25,000 and negative 27,000. Naturally not in round numbers though.
larryw

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:57 pm

Hi larryw,

It sounds like the problem is before any of these dates. You might plot the value of this investment, so you can see when the balance goes negative. It can help you find the problem.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby larryw » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:47 pm

I created a graph and it's been negative since first transaction (2015). Is it possible this investment info got corrupted during the update to 2022? If so, any way I can "re-set" it

Looking at the history the first set of entries dated 1/1/15 were for Redemptions, buying three investments. Adding up the total negative amounts seems to indicate that by removing those my actual cash balance of the sweep account would be closer to reality today.
larryw

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:03 pm

Hi larryw,

I don't believe the upgrade would change your data. You can restore it from a backup if you'd like. Just use "File / Restore..." and pick any recent *.FMB file from before this problem started. When restoring, select to only restore this 1 investment.

The share balance of any investment is always the sum of all your prior transactions. So, if you start off with 3 redemptions, you'll have a negative balance after these.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby larryw » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:06 pm

Is there any potential problems if I delete the 1/2015 redemptions? In doing so it will increase the cash balance on the bank sweep account to within 17.81 compared to the bank balance as of today.

Seems like an easy thing to do but I'm assuming deleting the sweep lines will not impact any other investment. Correct?
larryw

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:52 pm

Hi larryw,

Yes, you could do that, and it will impact the balance from that date, forward. So, yes, it will adjust the balance as of today. You could also record a buy on this date in 2015, like maybe an initial deposit of cash that was used to pay for the stock purchases.

Deleting these cash entries won't affect any other investments (assuming there isn't another cash investment assigned as your default cash account).
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General