Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Distribute account fee over portfolio

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Erik » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:54 am

Every quarter, I pay a (overall) fee to my broker for portfolio-management. Currently, I am recording these fees in a separate investment as "account fees." Problem is, that they are not distributed over the investments that make-up the portfolio.

I probably misunderstand the concept here, there must be a way to do this properly...

So how would I distribute that fee over the investments, so that each of the investments gets its share of the management-fee allocated? I would suggest the % share is calculated according to the relative value of each investment in the portfolio.

Hope this makes sense, thanks :)
Erik

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:38 am

Hi Erik,

The way you're doing it now is probably the best. If you wanted to distribute the fee over all the investments, you would need to record a proportioned account fee in each investment. Recording just one in the "account fees" investment is much easier, and will result in the same portfolio returns, although the displayed investment level returns will not include the effects of this account fee. You can do it either way, it is just more work to divide it up and record it among each of your investments.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Erik » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:53 am

Thank you Mark,

In that case I will keep it the way it is for now. I don't know how hard it would be to accomplish this, but perhaps you are willing to take this in consideration as a feature request. The 'general' account-fees are significant in the Netherlands (perhaps other countries, too) since the ban on commissions (between providers and intermediaries) after the credit crisis. It makes sense for us to distibute those costs over the investments somehow.

Regards,
Erik
Erik

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:05 am

Hi Erik,

It is an interesting idea. We'll consider it for a future update.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General