Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Running FM on 2 PC's - Portable/Cloud Mode vs Briefcases

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby ThomasK » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:16 pm

Hi Mark,

Question:
How best to set up to run FM on two (Windows 10) computers via a cloud service? Can I set up FM to get/use data from a 'briefcase' on each machine (with the synchronization via the cloud) instead of running Portable/Cloud Mode?

Currently, I'm running FM only on my Laptop but soon I'll need to run FM seamlessly on both my Laptop and my Desktop. I want to know if Portable/Cloud Mode is the better solution vs the 'briefcase' sync feature of a cloud service, however, from what I read in the Help and Forum files for my needs I'm leaning towards implementing the cloud briefcase solution if that is possible. I will of course set up the folder hierarchy on each machine identically so that FM knows where to get the data.

My understanding:
The cloud 'briefcase' feature is that data is backed up in the cloud and synchronized/mirrored into the briefcase folders on local machines. A briefcase folder can be placed on multiple machines. Also, I want FM to be running locally on both machines so I'll need to do a Backup/Restore from my Laptop to my Desktop.

Background:
I read the posts and help files for Portable/Cloud Mode. Currently:
a. I use FM on a Windows 10 Laptop
b. I use two cloud services: Microsoft's "OneDrive" and a Canadian firm "Sync.com"...the catch is that I use OneDrive only for non-sensitive stuff and Sync.com for the sensitive stuff and I'm guessing that Sync.com will not allow me to install FM on it
c. I have custom labels, currency settings, and reports that I'm 96% sure I won't need to update but if I do I'm guessing it is another Backup/Restore to make sure that both machines are running the same customizations
d. again, I want to only share data between the machines with FM running locally
e. I understand that I could have FM installed on 3 machines
f. I understand that I need to be aware that FM is not networked and there is a risk of overwriting data (but I would catch that before it happens)
g. I might have an issue if I leave FM running on the Desktop while I try to use the Laptop but I can tunnel in via TeamViewer and shut the Desktop instance down

The end result I wish to have is that FM is installed on both my Laptop and Desktop and that I'm sharing data between the machines via Sync.com (briefcases).

Thanks,
Thomas
ThomasK

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:32 pm

Hi Thomas,

Yes, you can allow the data files to be synced through a cloud drive, and run FM locally. Only your data is synced through a drive like this though, your preferences are not. If you use the portable/cloud mode, then your preferences are always the same, no matter where you start it from. If your preferences don't change that much, it may not matter to you. When you restore from a backup you are also restoring your preferences.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General