Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Rename / Folders / Close Inv / Admin / Recreate Cash

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby ccclapp » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:34 pm

Hi Mark and others

I am a new user and have spent the past several days learning/testing FM and have some questions/issues I hope you could assist with. For context I am initially testing with a single TD Ameritrade directly (internet) connected to FM. It has about 2 years of history involving 100+ stocks totaling about 3,000 buy/sell transactions:

1. RENAME INVESTMENT: Can one rename an investment on a directly connected account? For example:
a. the cash account imports as “"FDIC INSURED DEPOSIT ACCOUNT". It DOES have a CUSIP
b. Margin interest charges show up in as an Investment/Stock with no name, symbol or CUSIP (all blank). (I tried adding a name and the charges were reimported/duplicated, again with blank name Investment/stock.

2. DEDICATED FOLDERS PER SUB-PORTFOLIO (of real investment accounts): Can one organize a given portfolio such that the Investment files are kept in separate folders, per sub portfolio (assuming each sub portfolio represents an actual brokerage account? It seems all get placed into a single folder by Portfolio (vs sub portfolio).

3. CLOSE INVESTMENT IMPACT ON CASH ACCOUNT: In testing / setting up FM, I’ve had reason to “Close Investments”. It appears when this is done, any prior transactions, which impacted the Cash account are NOT removed. Thus the investment side of the transaction is gone from the portfolio, but its impact on the Cash account remains. There is no warning about this in the help files or the forum I could find. Instead, to properly remove an investment, one first should delete all transactions from the Data Register for that investment and only then Close the investment. Correct? Why is this warning not stated?

4. RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR: Strangely, one Investment wont save unless I run FM as administrator in Windows 10. This also happened on a portfolio I briefly created for testing. Normally this is not an issue with other investments/portfolios. Have you heard of this issue? I set the program default to run as admin to solve.

5. RECREATE DEFAULT CASH ACCOUNT NOT COMPLETE: I had had issues with the Cash account reconciling after the first sync with TD Ameritrade. After trying other fixes, I lost confidence in the Default Cash Account and wanted to Recreate it. I tried the dialog box options, but could never get it to completely match a fresh sync (using a 2nd test portfolio with the same brokerage account). Is this option viable to 100% correctly recreate all entries in the Cash account, as if one had done a new initial brokerage sync on a new portfolio on the same date? Or, are there limitations? I realize one must also to a Update Transactions following the Recreate Cash Account function. Taking it further, if one had manually entered some Spinoffs, etc, would Recreating Cash Account also pick those up?

Thanks very much for your very good support!
ccclapp

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:03 am

Hi ccclapp,

1) When retrieving transactions or reconciling the matching of incoming transactions to existing investments is done via CUSIP first, and if the CUSIP is empty, it will match via symbol. So, yes, you can change the name without issue, but you can only change the symbol if you have a valid CUSIP recorded. Having a valid CUSIP recorded is the most common situation.

2) Yes, you can do this, but it requires more management of files on your part. It is easier to just keep all investments in a single folder.

3) Correct, closing an investment does not go back and delete all the cash entries. It might be a good idea for us to add as an option to also delete all cash entries, but that isn't the way it works now.

4) Maybe this investment is being saved in a place that requires admin permissions. You might select it in the Portfolio Editor, and choose "File / Save Investment As..." and make sure it is saved in a folder where your user has access, like "My Documents \ Fund Manager". It is better to not have to run FM as an admin.

5) The command "File / File Operations / Re-Create Default Cash transactions..." will re-create all the cash entries, just as if you had just entered everything. Any distributed distribution, buy, or sell, will have a corresponding default cash account entry.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General