Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Include share information in custom sub portfolios?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby ccclapp » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:11 am

I am a new user looking at the software and have one initial question :

If I create "dummy" sub portfolios by selecting various investments from my actual portfolios ( in other words, to create a subportfolio which consists of portions of real portfolios, similar to a "watch list"), can that new sub portfolio include the actual shares over time from the source portfolio?

For example: if I have a TD Ameritrade account with 50 stock investments which I actively buy and sell, that would be my source portfolio ie the "real portfolio"

If I then create a "dummy" sub portfolio consisting of 10 of those stocks, would this dummy sub portfolio include my share balance over time of each stock, IE would it include my actual transactions? Or would it only show the stock price generically without regard to how many shares I own over time ?

If the answer is yes it will show my shares owned over time then this is a fabulous piece of software!

Thanks very much
ccclapp

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:07 am

Hi ccclapp,

Yes, it will include your shares owned over time.

Sub-portfolios are hierarchical, and you can create as much hierarchy as you want. You can graph/report on any sub-portfolio. When you do graph/report on a particular sub-portfolio, it includes everything beneath it. You might like to watch our tutorial on sub-portfolios.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ccclapp » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:08 pm

Hi, thank you for your reply

I looked at the video you link to and it is very informative. However it did not address the specific question I was asking. Maybe my question wasn't clear.. .

The video discusses subportfolios that contain actual accounts in their entirety. They're also is a reference to an index portfolio (but that would have no investments / trades). However, in no case was there a subportfolio that consists of a subset of the investments in a given source portfolio and including the buy/sell transactions that occurred with those stocks .

Again, per my example above if I have a portfolio with 100 stock investments that are actively traded and I want to create a sub dummy portfolio which includes 10 of those stocks and all of their trades. can I do that?

Thanks very much
ccclapp

Postby MattGMT » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:29 pm

Hi ccclapp,

If you go to your actual sub-portfolio you can 'copy' your 10 investments to your dummy sub-portfolio:
1. Click on an investment in your actual sub-portfolio,
2. hold down the 'ctrl' key and drag your first investment to your dummy sub-portfolio folder,
3. repeat this process for the next 9 investments.

Any updates to your actual investments (by adding more shares or updating the prices) will be automatically reflected in your dummy sub-portfolio.

Hope this helps.
Matt
MattGMT

Postby ccclapp » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:44 pm

Matt, excellent

Do I understand correctly that by doing what you describe those 10 stocks will show up in both the original / source portfolio as well as the dummy portfolio, or by dragging them do I remove them from the source and can only see them in the dummy? My hope is to see them in both and with the actual trade history in both .

Thanks
ccclapp

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:01 pm

You can either "copy" or "move" them. As Matt mentioned, if you hold down Ctrl, it will copy them. Without holding down Ctrl you are moving them. If you copy them, you'll have an instance in both sub-portfolios. Any changes you make to an investment will automatically be reflected everywhere you have an instance of that investment. So, yes, you can have those 10 stocks show up in both sub-portfolios at the same time.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ccclapp » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:10 pm

Super-fantabulous !

I look forward to it...

Thanks for your help
ccclapp

Return to General