Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Portfolio Performance Report: Closed Positions

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby chris319 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:05 pm

Hi Mark -

How can I make the Portfolio Performance report include the performance of closed positions? Out of the box it shows me the performance of open positions. I have looked and looked and can't find a way to include closed positions in the report. Does this require a custom report?

P.S. I should have posted this in the Reports section. My bad.

Thank you.
chris319

Postby Mark » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:31 pm

Hi chris319,

We should clarify what you mean by "closed". If you have an open investment but no longer own shares, that is different than if you have closed the investment in FM. When you close an investment, you are removing it from Fund Manager. You typically do not want to close an investment for this reason. You can "hide" it instead. If you mean how to view investments that are open, but you no longer own, that can be done. A couple of ways:

1) Turn on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios"
or
2) Check your settings from within the report at "Options / Report Preferences... / General / Investment Display / Do Not Display Investments with Zero Share Balance" and set it to the desired setting. Press "Help" in that dialog for more info.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby chris319 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:44 pm

OK, that did it.

Thank you, Mark.

By "closed position" I meant a position which has been sold prior to the report start date.
chris319

Postby chris319 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:34 pm

Hi Mark -

2) Check your settings from within the report at "Options / Report Preferences... / General / Investment Display / Do Not Display Investments with Zero Share Balance" and set it to the desired setting.

This is not working the way I need it to.

I have two positions in NVDA.

Purchase 9 shares
Sell 9 shares
(This position is considered "closed" because all shares have been sold, leaving 0 shares held.

Then

Purchase 10 shares
This position is considered "open" because 10 shares are still held and there has been no sale.

In the Portfolio Value report, I want to display only the P/L for the second "open" position, i.e. only the 10 shares currently held. I can't seem to do this using the method described above. All three options for this setting include the P/L from the first (closed) position and add it to the total.

View -> Hidden Investments/Portfolios is UNCHECKED.

Thank you.
chris319

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:39 am

Hi chris319,

This option we're discussing only controls whether or not an investment is shown, based on if it owns shares or not. The Portfolio Value report simply displays the value (not P/L) for a given date. If your Portfolio Value report is showing you own something other than the expected 10 shares, look at the date of the report, and look at your recorded transactions. This report will show how many shares you own as of the report date, and the price/value of those shares.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby chris319 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:33 pm

I'm sorry, I misspoke. I meant the Portfolio Performance report, not the Portfolio Value report.
I have two positions in NVDA.

Purchase 9 shares
Sell 9 shares
(This position is considered "closed" because all shares have been sold, leaving 0 shares held.

Then

Purchase 10 shares
This position is considered "open" because 10 shares are still held and there has been no sale.

In the Portfolio Performance report, I want to display only the P/L for the second "open" position, i.e. only the 10 shares currently held. I can't seem to do this using the method described above. All three options for this setting include the P/L from the first (closed) position and add it to the total.

View -> Hidden Investments/Portfolios is UNCHECKED.

Actually I can do what I want with an "Open Lots" report. It helps to have Distributions checked in Report Preferences for the report to make sense.
chris319

Return to General