Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

File Locations AccessDenied

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby John Lea » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:36 am

I have given up on the portable cloud mode because my internet access is too slow.

In doing so, I have created a mess. I have a back up on a backup drive (desktop) that I would like to restore to FM on the desktop. I have uninstalled FM and reinstalled it trying to get the file restored but I am told Access Denied or I have to run FM from the same folder or some such.

My goal is to get a clean install of FM and restore the manual backup to that. Ideally I would like to remove all other FM data from the PC to avoid more befuddlement.

I have asked this before and reread the reply which worked then, but I am at a loss now.
John Lea

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:11 am

Hi John Lea,

You probably want to make sure you restore to a "specified folder" and not the "original location". Afterwards, when opening that restored portfolio file, if you get an error message about a missing investment, direct it to the location where you restored to.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby John Lea » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:35 am

Thanks Mark. I ended up reinstalling FM on the desktop back up drive and was able to restore it there. I would like to move the whole shebang to the desktop hard drive after removing all other MF installs/data on it that I can find.

Should that be straightforward?
John Lea

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:36 am

Hi John Lea,

Yes, to move all your data to any folder you want, just use "File / File Operations / Set Data Location..".
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby John Lea » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:42 pm

Thanks. Will that also move the Program/App?
John Lea

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:44 pm

No, only your data. When you install the program, you choose where you want it located, so if you want to move the program location, install it again to where you want, and then just delete it from the old location.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby John Lea » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:13 pm

Great, thanks.
John Lea

Return to General