Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

FM On Linux Using WINE

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby ssherbin » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:55 pm

I've come to hate Windows so I am currently testing FM Pro on Linux Mint 20.2 Uma and WINE 6.0.1.

The installation went well and I was able to do a restore from my Windows FM to the Linux FM. All portfolios, settings, reports, etc., look perfect. However, I have not been able to do a transaction retrieve from Charles Schwab. Schwab has recently changed their download protocols and, while I can successfully retrieve transactions in Windows, the Linux implementation of FM generates an unspecified error. I'm not sure if it has something to do with Linux/WINE or if it's related to Schwab's new security measures.

Internet access through WINE is good and I'm posting this through the Linux FM portal.

If anyone is running FM on a Linux Mint box via WINE, I'd love to hear about how you configured your Linux/WINE.
ssherbin

Postby Mark » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:57 am

Hi ssherbin,

When do you get an error? When trying to obtain an access code, or when doing an actual retrieve? If you get it when doing an actual retrieve, is there anything in the log file at "Help / Logs / Transaction Retrieve (Raw)..."?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby ssherbin » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:52 am

Hi Mark,
I'm sending you some screenshots of the error to <redacted> but here's what I'm seeing:
1. Select "retrieve transactions" for the Schwab account,
2. Click on "next" button on the transaction retrieve option setting page
3. Your "transaction retrieve" pop-up box appears and displays Current Status: "initializing", Retrieved and Failed lines display "0".
4. Almost immediately, the error pop-up is displayed.

The transaction log only shows this:
Program Version: 2020.16.11
Transaction Module: 247
Broker: :FDX:Charles Schwab - NEW
fdxaccts.json:

I'm a new Linux user so it's entirely possible I misconfigured something on my setup but don't have any idea where to look or how to troubleshoot this.
Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Best Regards,
Sergei
ssherbin

Postby dellwo » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:27 pm

I found this since I'm doing the same with vanilla Ubuntu (Mint is based on Ubuntu).

Just a data point.
I'm a total novice and I didn't do any special configuration... just installed and it worked flawlessly.
Maybe uninstall and do a clean install. I followed instructions here:
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
dellwo

Postby ssherbin » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:39 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience. I ended up installing Oracle's VirtualBox and added a Win10 guest. It's working flawlessly. I will check out the link you left. Thanks!
ssherbin

Return to General