Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Trouble with WIN 10 update?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby pdgood » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:52 am

The master portfolio folder is empty !!!

Updated WIN 10 yesterday ....any thoughts on getting my working files back up?

I have used FM daily for 4 years with no issues like this.
pdgood

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:54 am

Hi pdgood,

Is your *.mm4 portfolio file open? Is it the correct portfolio file, located from wherever you normally store it?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby pdgood » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:38 pm

Thanks Mark !

I am running WIN 7 on one machine and WIN 10 on another... both running current up to date versions of FM. The 7 box was not affected and its *.mm4 file is about 60kb located in the FM folder in "my documents".

Should the *.mm4 be in the same location on the 10 box...? If not found on 10 can I use the file from 7 to repair 10?
pdgood

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:54 pm

Hi pdgood,

You can save your *.mm4 file anywhere you want. There is no required location. The default location is "My Documents \ Fund Manager". It is just your portfolio file. If it is open, it will show the filename in the title bar across the top of the window. If it isn't open, use "File / Open Portfolio", or from the bottom of the "File" menu, your most recently opened portfolio files are listed there, and you can just pick #1.

If you want, you can transfer your data from your working PC using backup/restore as described here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/newcomputer.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby chris319 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:48 pm

On the subject of Windows, I have a Dell laptop that's about 2 years old with an AMD Ryzen CPU, and an older desktop PC with an Intel Core i7 CPU. By actual test, neither machine is suitable to run Windows 11.

There is no way in Hades that I'm going to spend $$$ for new computers just to run Windows 11, period. I just spent $ for RAM upgrades and a SSD for my desktop. I'll run Linux Mint before I run Windows 11.

If Window 10 is any guide, Windows 11 will have about 2 - 3 years worth of bugs in it upon release. One thing that makes me see red is when a Windows "Update" lays waste to your settings and something that used to work before the update doesn't work after the update.
chris319

Postby ssherbin » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:33 pm

I share your opinion of Windows so I am currently testing FM Pro on Linux Mint 20.2 Uma and WINE 6.0.1.

The installation went well and I was able to do a restore from my Windows FM to the Linux FM. All portfolios, settings, reports, etc., look perfect. However, I have not been able to do a transaction retrieve from Charles Schwab. Schwab has recently changed their download protocols and, while I can successfully retrieve transactions in Windows, the Linux implementation of FM generates an unspecified error. Internet access through WINE is good and I'm replying to your post through the Linux FM portal.

I'll post a fix if or when I find a solution.
ssherbin

Return to General