Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Issue Restoring to New Computer

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby saroman » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:17 pm

I'm having issues transferring my FM data from an old Windows 10 Pro desktop pc to a new Windows 10 Home laptop. After installing the program on the laptop, I backed up the data on the old pc to a flash drive. In the laptop FM I clicked on Restore and navigated to the backup file on the flash drive, which I clicked. I got a dialog box with a list of over 40 files in the "Files in Backup:" window. One was Portfolio. A second was Global Preferences which was followed by 40 or so .dat files. I selected "Restore Everything in Backup", "Open Restored Portfolio" and "Specified Folder." The Specified Folder I selected was C:\Program Files (x86)\Fund Manager. When I clicked on Restore, I saw two dialog boxes. One said "Restoring" but it stopped at 35%. The other said "Access is denied." I also created a new, empty FM folder on my Desktop and tried to restore to there, but that didn't work either. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.
saroman

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:21 pm

Hi saroman,

You can’t write data files into the Program Files folder. This is restricted by Windows permissions for security reasons. The default location for your data is in the My Documents / Fund Manager folder. You should be able to restore to that

For some tips on moving to a new computer please read this:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/newcomputer.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby saroman » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:12 am

Thanks very much, Mark. I appreciate it.
saroman

Return to General