Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

new computer, install FM, restore. but FM not registered

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby rlaggren » Sun May 02, 2021 5:14 pm

I think I did a full backup and thought that would include the needed key for FM to consider itself registered. But it looks like I missed something. All the data appears as expected, although the settings such as date format did not come across and memorized reports also did not make it across. I left the option checked to put the data in the same place.

This is not a disaster, I don't plan on doing much with the securities for the next couple months. There is only one holding I may want to do something with. It's as much a test run as anything.

But I would like to know what went sideways so I can avoid the problem in the future. I looks like I missed some option for the Restore...

Thanks for thoughts.
Rufus
rlaggren

Postby Mark » Sun May 02, 2021 6:44 pm

Hi Rufus,

If you use "File / Backup..." and "File / Restore..." that will allow you to transfer the "Registry Preferences", which is where things like memorized reports and your license are stored. It sounds like somehow this did not restore. We have some instructions for transferring your data to a new computer.

You can also still go back and transfer just your registry preferences with this method. When restoring, just choose to restore only the registry preferences.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rlaggren » Mon May 03, 2021 12:51 pm

OK.

So, File/Backup is different from backing up portfolio and holdings on exiting the program? That's probably the issue. I assumed that the option to automatically back up on exiting the program did the whole job. I think there are two options to backup when closing and I have both checked.

Do I have that right? Is a "manual" backup from the File/Backup menu the only way to save program data as well? I did read instructions in a couple places but didn't catch or retain that detail.

It's good that recapturing the program data is easy. I'll sort things out when I get back home.

Cheers,
Rufus
rlaggren

Postby Mark » Mon May 03, 2021 10:22 pm

Hi Rufus,

I think you are thinking of "Options / Save Portfolio on Exit" and "Save Investments on Exit". This is different than a backup. Those are saving your portfolio (*.mm4) and investment (*.dat) files. The backup is with "File / Backup..." or there is an option to do an automatic backup with "Options / General Preferences... / Data". The backups create a *.fmb file, which includes the global registry preferences. Either the manual backup or the automatic backup create *.fmb files, and they are equivalent.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rlaggren » Thu May 06, 2021 7:04 am

Mark

Thank you. That sounds clear. I had a misunderstanding about the "Save on Exit" options, made assumptions...

Regards,
Rufus
rlaggren

Return to General