Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Portfolio Structure - Sub Portfolios - Random Selections

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby portaferry » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:30 pm

I want to create a portfolio that represents a theme (almost a sector) which is a "random collection" of stocks across several portfolios. It strikes me that it would be great if I could link individual investments into a sub-portfolio, but this is not possible as far as I can see.

It seems solution is to create a category label, and use that to filter to generate report(s).

Just wanted to confirm this is best approach to this issue?
portaferry

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:24 pm

Hi portaferry,

You can place a copy of an investment in more than 1 sub-portfolio. An investment can be instantiated multiple times. If you make a change in an investment that is located in multiple places, when you update it, it is updated everywhere. You can use the Portfolio Editor to copy/paste or drag/drop while holding down the Ctrl button to copy (not move).
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby portaferry » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:21 pm

Yes, but when I do the copy approach it is then duplicated when I do a consolidated or Master Portfolio Report. Is the answer to just filter out the portfolio with copies?

Also on the theme of portfolio management what is best practice with old investments, which you usually hide, ... I had been thinking of placing in an "archive" or "inactive sub portfolio" of course within same portfolio family to retain data, ... ?
portaferry

Postby Mark » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:53 pm

You can create portfolio hierarchy to separate them, something like:

Code: Select all
- Master Portfolio
  - My Accounts
  - My Collections

So, if you want to make a consolidated report of all your holdings, just use "My Accounts", and not "Master Portfolio". You can create as much hierarchy as you want.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General