Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Multiple windows

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby 4Profits » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:44 am

Mark,
I have a question on how to do something that I have done but can't figure out how to do again.
I have my screen split to show the portfolio editor and a graph Cost vs Value. It works great but somehow I opened a second graph window of Share price plus Moving Avg overlay and I have a 50 and 200 day MA Normally I normally have one of the graphs behind the other and select from the window selection which one I want to view. I have this saved as my active portfolio. I wanted to try and create this again with a different set of graphs but could not figure out how to get the two graph windows opened. Can you help?

Also if I have two graph windows open is there any way to link them so when I select a stock on my portfolio window it will display that stock on both of my graph windows not just the one in front. I am toying with the idea of expanding FM across 2 screens with the portfolio editor on one and the two graph screens side by side on the second monitor but when I do that I need to select a graph then the stock and then the other window and the stock again. It would be nice If there was a selection to sync the graph windows to the stock selection in the portfolio editor or let them float free like they do now.

thanks Jim
4Profits

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:18 pm

Hi Jim,

If you are in a Graph window, and want to create a second Graph window, use "Graphs / New Window...".

There isn't a good way to link the Portfolio Editor to multiple graph windows. When you select an investment in a Portfolio Editor, it will change the active portfolio for the first graph window, and select that investment. It won't modify the 2nd graph window. One alternative to keep the 2 graph windows linked is to turn on "Graphs / Options / Display... / Scrolling Investment Based Graphs Changes Investment Stack Order". This will keep your 2 graphs in sync, as long as they're on the same active portfolio. You can either scroll in a graph window or pick an investment from the Investments menu. It would also work from the Portfolio Editor, as long as both graphs have their active sub-portfolio set to whatever sub-portfolio you're viewing in the Portfolio Editor.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Ilikemybu » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:30 pm

Mark,

I was following along with this but came across a problem, I thought the graph window would show the currently selected investment from the portfolio editor, I click on the graph window, then click on an investment, and it does not change, (the graph will change investments if I use the arrow keys, I assume going through the stack)

Is the graph supposed to change to the investment I click on in the portfolio editor...even if I change subportfolios?
Ilikemybu

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:35 pm

Hi Ilikemybu,

Just clicking on an investment or sub-portfolio won't graph it. You have to right mouse click and choose one of the "Graph" menu commands. Alternatively, if you set the option:

Options / General Preferences... / Other / Action When Double Clicking on an Investment in Portfolio Editor

to:

Graph

Then, you can also double click an investment to graph it. By default, it opens in the Data Register.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Ilikemybu » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:10 pm

Mark,

I already have an investment graphed, I thought though that by clicking on a different investment in the editor, the graph would update using the new investment I clicked on, (even if I click on an investment in a different subportfolio
Ilikemybu

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:19 pm

Hi Ilikemybu,

No, it won't work that way. That might be a good option to add in the future, but you have to use one of the methods I described in my prior post.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Ilikemybu » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:28 am

Thanks, I can also think that people may not want it to do that as well :-). I got it to work changing the doubleclick option
Ilikemybu

Return to General