Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Float Default Cash item to top of Portfolio Editor list?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby rlaggren » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:28 pm

Hi Mark

If possible I'd like to have the Cash investment floating at the top of the Portfolio Editor display.

Since I do not display Names, but use Symbols to identify investments, for the sake of brevity, I cannot prepend something on the name to force the cash investment item to sort to the top of the investment listing. I assume the Symbol is used "live, as-is" for data retrieval, right? Thus I can't mess with that just to customize my display. And modifying the Name nor the Symbol would work anyway when I change the sort order in the Portfolio Editor to aid in evaluating the whole or to help locating an investment.

A check box for "Float Default Cash to top of Portfolio Editor" would, of course, be the cat's meow. But I fear that may not be a trivial change.

Is there by chance any way to do this that you've come across or am I the only one who has been interested in this tweak?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Rufus
rlaggren

Postby rlaggren » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:43 pm

Hmm.

Thinking about this, maybe placing any/all Cash items into a different portfolio would serve. For the Cash, "Front & center" is not as important as "Not lost in the pile".

How can sub or "linked" data be included in reports of the main portfolio? Will Cash in a sub or linked portfolio update automatically with transactions applied against the main portfolio?

If that path is plausible, which would work better? Linked portfolios or sub portfolios?. I confess I'm not at all clear about the purpose, properties, behavior of a linked portfolio. Nor about what the relationship between sub portfolios, depending on whether they are at the same level under the master or whether the sub is under the working portfolio, implies.

Any hope here?

Rufus
rlaggren

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:03 pm

Hi Rufus,

If you're list by investment, you can sort the report in any way you want. See the "Sort" top level menu. The default is "Investment Stack", which is an order you have complete control over. See the "Investments" menu to sort or order the stack.

Reports include everything at/beneath the sub-portfolio you choose to report on. If you haven't seen it, you might find the tutorial on sub-portfolios helpful.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rlaggren » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:19 pm

Hi Mark

The video was helpful and another about Cash also had some info - in particular about the "Show All" option when defining a default cash investment. The Cash video demonstrates the ShowAll applied against portfolios on the same level of hierarchy. Does the ShowAll option also allow defining a default cash investment in subPorfolios beneath that level in the hierarchy. Eg. as shown below:

FM_folio-hierarchy_1.png
Sample hierarchy with cash subPortfolio
FM_folio-hierarchy_1.png (5.22 KiB) Viewed 1517 times

However, I have a more pressing question. When I copy/paste a money fund investment into the Cash subPortfolio it appears in both the source 'folio and the target 'folio. Ok, kinda what I expected. BUT, now when I make a change to that investment in one 'folio, say Cash, that change propagates to the original investment in the source 'folio. So... They appear to be the same investment data, as if they are linked. OooKay...

BUT! From what I gather from this forum and the docs, if I report on the higher level 'folio, I will sum all sub'folios and the investment I just pasted into Cash will be added into the report and I will double, for that report, the value of the investment I just pasted into Cash.

I was planning to close that investment in the upper 'folio (RJL) in the pic above and thus have a nice accurate report with cash displayed separately in it's own sub'folio. But now, seeing how the instances of that investment, the original in RJL and the copy in Cash, appear to be linked, I'm concerned what happens when I close the original... Are they linked in such a way that the copy will be closed (deleted) also?

Most interested here.

Thanks,
Rufus
rlaggren

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:28 pm

Hi Rufus,

"Show All" wouldn't be needed in this case, as if you're setting the RLJ default cash, it will list all investments underneath that, including in the Cash sub-portfolio, without turning on that option.

Yes, if you copy/paste an investment, you are placing a second instance of the same investment. You can close either one, without closing the other. You can also use drag/drop to move an investment, which it sounds like what you were trying to do. Use the Portfolio Editor to drag/drop. See the Portfolio Editor Tutorial.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rlaggren » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:25 pm

Thanks, Mark

You've cleared up my confusion about this.

I got worried when I saw that updating properties of the 2nd instance also updated properties of the 1st, automatically - concerned that they were not really separate and deleting one would delete the other.

Cheers,
Rufus
rlaggren

Return to General