Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Master account vs individual accounts

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Mary Kennedy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:53 am

I am not sure if my problem is something I said or if there is an actual flaw in the software. I have multiple accounts--a brokerage, two IRAs, a UTMA for my grandson. In the past when I clicked on Edit--retrieve--Internet transactions, I got a dialogue box that said something like "master portfolio" and all accounts were updated. Now I get a box that says "portfolio to retrieve" is the UTMA. The pull-down allows me to change to another portfolio, but the Master Portfolio option has disappeared, so that I need to re-do the retrieve transactions process multiple times, once for each porfolio.

What did I do that created this problem, and how do I get my Master Portfolio option back?
Mary Kennedy

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:03 am

Hi Mary Kennedy,

You will always have a top level sub-portfolio. You can change the name to anything you want. Use the Portfolio Editor, and in the tree view of your sub-portfolios on the left, there is one at the very top. That is your top-most sub-portfolio, which by default is named "Master Portfolio". If you want to edit the name, just right mouse click on it, and choose "Properties...".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mary Kennedy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:20 am

this is my view of the portfolio editor. There is no hierarchy and the investments listed are not in the UTMA account
Attachments
port pic 2021-01-21_8-11-51.jpg
port pic 2021-01-21_8-11-51.jpg (79.31 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
Mary Kennedy

Postby Mary Kennedy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:29 am

oops. this is sthe portfolio editor screen
Attachments
port editr screen-26-44.jpg
port editr screen-26-44.jpg (144.55 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
Mary Kennedy

Postby Mary Kennedy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:40 am

The first image I sent, which shows a master portfolio, is what I see when I click on edit--> portfolio properties. the second screen, which shows a list of specific things and then list one folder called UTMA at the bottom is what I see when I click view --> portfolio editor
Mary Kennedy

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:15 am

Hi Mary Kennedy,

You should always see at least 1 sub-portfolio on the left side of that window. Why don't you give me a call, and we can do a quick web meeting and see if we can't figure out the problem.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mary Kennedy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:56 pm

MarysImage.jpg
MarysImage.jpg (204.29 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
Hi Mark. One more detail to work out. After you fixed my oddity and got my portfolios to report properly, I went through each account and reconciled it. All the others were fine, but look at the reconcile screen for the UTMA account. It includes tons of stuff that belong in other accounts ( and is also correctly listed in those accounts).

Notice that FM correctly says they are not in this account, but it thinks that they SHOULD be in this account, as they are all listed in a "statement." I am afraid to reconcile this account as it will import all this stuff, but how to I erase this "statement?"
Last edited by Mary Kennedy on Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary Kennedy

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:03 pm

Hi Mary Kennedy,

There was no image to look at. It sounds like you have the same investments in multiple sub-portfolios, and need to remove these extras from your UTMA account. Use the Portfolio Editor, to "close" these investments from the UTMA account if they don't belong in there.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General