Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

stuck on startup

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Erik » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:12 am

Hi,

I'm getting a system message on startup that prevents me from entering the program. It starts with: "the investment file specified in the portfolio could not be found" > see attachment scrsht_1

Both "OK" and "cancel" redirect the program to the second message: "Change investment location" > see attachment scrsht_2

No matter what I select there (eg "Skip Opening All Missing Investments") makes my PC unresponsive. The only way to exit that screen is to force-quit through the task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC).

Do you think I have to re-install the program? Or is there anything else I can try first? (fortunately I have recent backups..)

Thanks & regards,

Erik
Attachments
scrsht_2.png
scrsht_2.png (15.12 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
scrsht_1.png
scrsht_1.png (8.88 KiB) Viewed 1293 times
Last edited by Erik on Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erik

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:14 am

Hi Erik,

If you go look in that path, is the investment there? If you choose "Skip Opening All Missing Investments", you should be able to get back into the program?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Erik » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:04 pm

Thank you Mark, sorry I only just saw this..(forgot to check "notify me"...)

The investment-file is there. "Skip Opening All Missing Investments" renders my PC unresponsive (just like the other two options...)

Thanks & regards,

Erik
Erik

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:39 pm

Hi Erik,

Sounds strange, I'm not sure what is going on. Are all your data files in the same folder? If so, try creating a new folder, and copying/pasting all your *.dat and *.mm4 data files into this new folder, and opening them from there. I'm wondering if you don't have a permission problem that this might not clear up. You might need to uninstall/reinstall to clear up the startup option that is opening the problematic portfolio on startup.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Erik » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:21 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks and yes, I agree it's strange. I've always found FM to be very stable & fast. So my 'working hypothesis' would be that something went wrong on my PC/hdd. Perhaps a corrupted file.. or a pigheaded bit that decided to shift the wrong direction...

Fortunately I have a recent backup, so I will do a fresh install this weekend (I'm on the road now). That should probably solve it. If not, I'll let you know.

Thanks & regards,

Erik
Erik

Return to General