Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Default Cash Account Unexpected Behavior

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby ZOO55 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:51 am

I have entered about 10 transactions manually in different subportfolios and the Default Cash Account behaves as expected. However, suddenly, any new investment causes the DCA to behave wildly inaccurately. It shows the proper amount to be deducted in the Data Manager according to the new Investment, but (a) instead of $1.00 per share it sets the number at a small fraction and "Redeems" 100's of thousands of shares, which would be ok (I just care about the balance), but then (b) deducts from the ending balance not the amount listed in Data Manager but instead, an amount equal to those 100's of thousands of shares at $1.00 each, which wipes out the account! I cannot now get any New Investment to show up properly in the DCA. Not to mention Dividends and Foreign Taxes, which also show similar strange behavior I can detail if desired. Any suggestions?
ZOO55

Postby ZOO55 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:57 am

I can go into the DCA and manually fix this so it behaves in the expected manner. The amount to be deducted shown in the running account stays the same but when I manually change the share value to $1.00 and the share number to the proper amount, the balance at the bottom magically works. Would obviously prefer not to have to do that for every transaction.... Thanks.
ZOO55

Postby ZOO55 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:47 am

But there remains a problem with the DCA. Because of the too-low share prices that originally were entered for the New Investments, even after the manual fix of all share prices to $1.00 the overall average share price is less than $1.00. In other words, the automated averaging does not recognize the manual fix. Can this be remedied?

Thanks,
ZOO55

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:10 pm

Hi ZOO55,

When you record a transaction the amount added/removed from default cash is based on the "value" of that transaction, so for example, $1,000. So, if you buy something for $1,000, $1,000 will be taken out of cash. Normally, your cash investment should have a price of $1, so it will sell 1,000 shares, to get the $1,000. However, if your cash investment has some non-$1 price, it will sell however many shares are needed to get that $1,000. It sounds like somehow your cash investment had some non-$1 prices. Look in the Data Register under the data type of "Prices", and make sure all the closing prices are exactly $1. Make sure all your transactions are also recorded at a price of $1, and the shares are equal to the value. For more on tracking cash, please see this Tracking Cash Tutorial.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General