Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Price & transactions database

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Arrow » Sun May 03, 2020 3:12 am

Hello Mark,
I am sorry to disturb you with so many questions.
I’m very interested in FM but I have to do everything by manually both inserting transactions
and import prices with files and therefore I want to understand if it is feasible.
1. If a create a new investment i.e. named Fund and “symbol” “FUNDxxx” and then insert transactions and historical prices on the days of purchase and afterwards I need to change the symbol due to different data provider what happens? I want to understand if there is a single database of prices for every single investment and how are they related to transactions.
For example if I buy 100 shares on the 1st of February 2020 with symbol FUNDxxx at 1 $ and I do not upgrade its price. Then if I want to import a long historical file of prices of the fund that needs a different symbol “FUNDzzz” with only close that goes back to 2015 (although the security is always the same) and I discover the new file has a close of $ 1.05 on the 1st of February.
Which price will be displayed on the 1st of February? And my transaction purchase? Can they be different?
2. Is it correct to say that if I use an Advisor version I can restore a Pro backup? Or if I saved a backup of the Pro version I cannot restore it in an advisor version of software? So how restore from backup relate to each other according to different versions of the software (I‘m interested and in doubt only between the Pro and Advisor versions) ?
3. Can I have an evaluation period for both Pro and Advisor version on 2 different Pcs at the same time ?

Thanks in advance for your answers
Arrow
Arrow

Postby Mark » Sun May 03, 2020 10:35 am

Hi Arrow,

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need.

1) Price and transaction data are stored in each investment. There isn't a common repository of pricing data based on symbol. Whatever price/transaction data you enter into an investment, stays with that investment, even if you change the symbol. Changing the symbol will not change any recorded price/transaction data for that investment. Pricing data is independent from transaction data, so you can purchase shares at one price, and have a different closing price on that same date. If you import prices into an investment, it overwrites any existing pricing data that was already there.

2) Data files are interchangeable between all versions of FM. So, you can restore a backup file from one version using a different version. The caveat to this is that you are limited to 500, 5,000, and 50,000 investments, in each of the 3 versions, so you can't restore a backup with 10,000 investments using the Personal or Professional versions.

3) Yes, you can.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General