Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

NTUSER

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby nebfinfm » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:00 am

I discovered in my Users directory a file: NTUSER. The File Explorer Properties says that the Type of file is: Fund Manager Investment (.DAT). What it is?
Thanks nebfinfm
nebfinfm

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:01 am

Hi nebfinfm,

In Windows, FM is associated with the filename extension .DAT. This same extension can also be used by other programs, but if you have an extension associated, then this will be shown by Windows. It does not necessarily mean all .DAT files were created by Fund Manager. That is the case here. That file you mentioned is a Windows file, and not a FM file.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby nebfinfm » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:33 am

Hello Mark, thanks for quick reply.

Do you have an idea what is this file? FYI I'm storing / backing FM data to different back-up drive.

Is it possible that Windows is backing / creating this file without my knowledge? I don't like to have my data stored somewhere without my knowledge.

Can I erase this NTUSER file?

Thanks nebfinfm
nebfinfm

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:39 am

Hi nebfinfm,

A quick Google search for "what is the NTUSER.dat file in Windows" will tell you a lot. I wouldn't delete it. It is part of Windows, and is not related in any way to your FM data.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby nebfinfm » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:29 pm

Hi Mark, thanks for advice, I found "Don't Delete the NTUSER.dat file..."

FYI I thought that NTUSER.dat file is associated with FundManager becouse the icon was a classical FM icon and the properties also said it is a FM file. Evidently in my computer the .dat extension is associated only with a FM application.

Thanks nebfinfm
nebfinfm

Return to General