Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

FM slow to close when using Portable Mode on thumb drive

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby tissel299 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:35 am

Hi Mark,
I recently moved FM to a thumb drive, using your Portable/Cloud Mode instructions, so that I could access FM from both my desktop and laptop. It works fine on both except that when I exit FM from either device it takes around 10 minutes to close down (I have timed it!). Any ideas on why it takes so long? Both machines are using Windows 10 with fast processors, FM is 2020.16.3.100.
Tom
tissel299

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:41 pm

Hi Tom,

I'm guessing it is related to the writing of the fmprefs.txt file. That is slower than the registry, but 10 minutes isn't normal either. Maybe you have some other program trying to access the same file as FM is writing it, like a backup program? Just an idea, I'm not sure. If you watch the fmprefs.txt backup file during this 10 minutes, is the file growing in size?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Glen » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:15 am

Hi Tom,

I had a very similar issue with FM taking 5-10 min to close when stored on a flash drive. I fixed this by switching from a usb 2.0 flash drive with very slow read and write speeds to a usb 3.1 drive that was marketed as being 15x faster. I'm using it in a computer (windows 10) with a usb 3.0 port and FM now takes about 15 sec to close down a portfolio with an auto backup file of 21,000kb. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Glen
Glen

Return to General