Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Another quick question

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby DaveE » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:30 am

I have successfully downloaded one of my portfolios in the trial FM. I notice that it shows a fund that is a CD and is fully paid up and no longer on my portfolio list at the broker.
Can I delete this and arrange for it not to show up any more?
Thanks for any advice.
Edit: It also shows a stock that has been sold. Both items show zero total but they do show up.
Also (sorry about this ) does the program download cost basis info?

I see that under Properties on those investments, I can hide and uncheck retrieve prices. Great.
The CD was causing as issue as the name/fund number couldn't be found.
DaveE

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:35 pm

Hi DaveE,

You typically want to "hide" investments that you no longer own, instead of closing them. This way they remain in your historical records. For help on hiding investments, see our Hiding Investments Tutorial.

Yes, your transactions (and thus cost basis) are downloaded when you retrieve transactions. If you started out retrieving transactions and positions, you may not have all the cost basis. If you purchased some shares before the earliest data that your broker offered transaction data, you'll get an "adjustment entry" transaction for the starting share balance, so that your ending share balance is correct. Take a look at all your transactions in the Data Register (tutorial here). You can see if you have all the actual transactions recorded, and thus an accurate cost basis. You can also create a Custom report with the field:

Tax basis, Assigned Method

Or, you could add this to the Portfolio Editor, or you could create an Open Lots report. There are several ways to view your basis.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General