Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Question from potential customer

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby DaveE » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:49 pm

Hello,
I am not a seasoned or experienced investor. I do have accounts with well known brokerages, one with a transferred 457 plan and one with a small Roth IRA.
I have been using a Quicken alternative for a little time, which works well for day to day banking, but for my portfolios - it gets a bit messy and the support is poor.
I have just downloaded the trial - checked it out but deleted while I ask some questions.
The first is security. I had to enable third party account info availability (I type in all transactions currently) at the default brokerage. I don't know if this can be answered here but - when fund manager accesses an online portfolio, does the brokerage recognize that it's from the same computer the customer uses? Bear with my paranoia please :)
The program looks more daunting than the one I use right now but not overly expensive for ease of transactions.
Am I right in saying that when I purchase stock, I just download the portfolio again and the new stock shows up?
Finally, I was a little confused about choosing the "cash" account on importing the default portfolio. Does this mean the cash in hand/money market ? When I chose that - it didn't seem to set up the account as shown in the video.
Appreciate your patience with these questions.
Edit: I did get through to my main broker whose customer service told me that access is done via OFX "files" and no actual changes can occur through this access - so I may have answered my first question..
DaveE

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:17 pm

Hi DaveE,

Yes, if you choose to use the transaction retrieve feature, FM retrieves information from your broker via their OFX server. This is a secured connection, and is read-only from Fund Manager's end. The broker could detect/log the IP address you're accessing their OFX server from, but whether they do or not, I'm not sure. Someone needs to have your username/password to access the information from your broker's OFX server.

Yes, when you have a transaction in a new security, FM will create that for you automatically.

The default cash is just a cash investment where any money generated from transactions or used by transactions is automatically added/removed. You might like to watch our video on tracking cash. There are many other tutorials on our site you might find helpful in getting started.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby DaveE » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:39 pm

Thanks Mark - makes me feel better.
DaveE

Return to General