Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

How to recreated the Capital Gains report with Gain%

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby MichelV » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:34 pm

Hi,

I'm on the Personal trial version and so far so good. I was able to Export/Import + balance my (8) years+ of transactions. I need to say that I'm very impressed with the product. Everything seems accurate until now and lighting fast. Thanks Mark for the good work. I will have some questions in different topics.

The first one:
I'm now looking at the Custom reports and seems to struggle a bit. I scrolled down all the available fields and there are a lot. However, so far, I can't figure out how to recreate the Capital Gains report in order to add the Gain% at the end. Am I missing something?

Regards.

Michel.
MichelV

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:51 am

Hi Michel,

Thanks for trying Fund Manager. You can't create a Capital Gains like report with the Custom report, as the Capital Gains report is listing by each sold lot, where the Custom report lists by investment, asset type, investment type, etc. You can get %Gain in a Custom report, but it would be for whatever item you're listing, like by investment for example.

There are several different %Gain fields available. There is the %Gain (current), which is the % gain on the currently owned shares, but this is using the OOP basis, which can differ from the tax basis due to distributions. There is no %Gain-Tax Basis field, but you could write your own equation for it if you wanted a percent gain based off the tax basis. This is an option in the Pro version, where you can define your own fields, and write equations, kind of like Excel.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby MichelV » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:01 am

Mark wrote:There is no %Gain-Tax Basis field, but you could write your own equation for it if you wanted a percent gain based off the tax basis. This is an option in the Pro version, where you can define your own fields, and write equations, kind of like Excel.

I had just completed the Personal version purchase as this reply notification came in :shock: . I had looked at the comparison chart and kind of skipped this one. Is there a way to try the Professional version now that I went with the Personal one? Hopefully using the same portfolio file.

Just to clarify, is that Pro feature allowing me to add fields to the built-in reports on just giving me the ability to make formula in Custom reports?

Thanks.
MichelV

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:04 am

Hi Michel,

Thanks for your purchase. If you decide to change, we can make that happen for just the difference in price. Yes, you can try the Professional version easily. All the data files are the same format, so you can switch back/forth with no issues. Just install the Pro version, and continue using your same data. In the dialog box where you choose the Custom report fields, there will be a new "Define Fields..." button. This is only for the Custom report. You can make up new fields, by writing equations using existing built-in fields, plus math and simple functions like IF. See the online help from within the dialog where you define the fields.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General