Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

What-If Scenarios

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby stevetone » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:08 am

What would be the best way to test some "what if" scenarios? For example, if I had not sold XYZ in 2018, what would have been the performance of the portfolio.

I tried copying the portfolio, but that did not seem to give me an independent copy. That is, when I deleted the sale from the copied portfolio, it deleted it from the original portfolio as well.
stevetone

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:13 am

Hi stevetone,

If you just wanted to do something very temporary you could make some changes, and then exit without saving. Turn off the automatic save options under the top level "Options" menu first.

For a more permanent option, use "File / File Operations / Create New Investment from Existing...". This allows you to create a new independent investment where you can make changes without affecting the original.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby stevetone » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:22 am

That was a fast response! Thank you.

I'll try that.

Along those lines, if I delete a historical redemption, do I also have to manually delete the transaction from the "cash" account that originally received the funds?
stevetone

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:29 am

Hi stevetone,

If you delete the redemption while the default cash account is still assigned, it will also delete the deposit into cash.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aviator » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:59 am

Mark, one thing I've always thought would be helpful is an Undelete or Undo command. It would work similarly to the Undo function within, say, Excel where the previous command is undo.

This would allow testing of certain transaction and their effects on the portfolio. Just a thought...
aviator

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:48 am

Hi aviator,

Okay, thanks for the feedback/idea. I can see that being helpful.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General