Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Why are some "unrealized %gain" shown "NA" in Portfolio Mgr?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby drwehby » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:30 am

Hi,
My subject heading about says it all: why are some of my portfolio holdings (all equity: stocks, etf) showing up as NA in the "Unrealized %gain" column in the Portfolio Manager? Other holdings show the unrealized %gain. The ones that show as NA are all short-term holdings, but others that are short-term show the correct gain (either + or -). Also, all have starting prices and quantities. Thanks!
drwehby

Postby Mark » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:09 am

Hi drwehby,

That field is using the assigned accounting method for your investment to determine the unrealized % gain. If you are using "Specific Lot", you must go specify all recorded sell transactions, before a calculation can be made.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby drwehby » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:50 am

Hi Mark,
Thanks, that worked for most of them when I changed Accounting Method from "Specified Lots" to FIFO. There are two remaining equities,however, that show as NA even after the change of Accounting Method to FIFO. These have in common that they were transferred in as a consequence of reorganizations/acquisitions. Does this have an effect on the calculation of unrealized %gain? If so, should I re-do these two records using your "use the split wizard, and then re-name and change the CUSIP of the position" method?
drwehby

Postby Mark » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:39 am

Hi drwehby,

Look at your Transfer In transactions, and check what you have recorded for tax cost basis. If you have them at 0, the basis is 0, and you can't get a % gain because the formula is (gain/basis), and you can't divide by 0.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby drwehby » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:48 pm

Yes, that's it -- I had tax cost basis at zero. Made the correction and now all is well. :D Thanks!
drwehby

Return to General