Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Import Custom Properties Difficulty

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby hipped1 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:28 pm

I have been testing the functionality to import custom properties but cannot seem to get the import to update data as expected.

I first downloaded the custom properties to a CSV file using the menu option, file, export, other, custom properties. This appears to contain the custom properties for all securities.

I then open this file and delete all but one security line for my test. I then modify the text of an existing custom property for this single security and save the file.

I then import the modified CSV file using the menu option, file, import, other, custom properties, and select the file that was just saved. I select the portfolio which contains the security and then select import. I receive a message that the import file contained data for 1 symbol(s). Imported data for 1 symbol(s). Updated 1 investment(s).

When I go to view the custom property data for the security updated, the values for the test security have not been updated. The values remain unchanged from the initial values.

Am I missing a step in the process or doing something incorrectly?

Thanks
Mark
hipped1

Postby Mark » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:41 pm

It sounds like you are doing things correctly. If you want, you can email or attach that CSV file you're importing to a post, and I can test it here.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hipped1 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:47 pm

Here is the file, I am trying to upload data for custom properties 8-10 for ABC.

Thanks for checking it out. After the upload, here are the values I see in the investment properties for the security.

Mark
Attachments
Custom Properties1.csv
Upload file
(35 Bytes) Downloaded 219 times
After update properties.JPG
Properties screen following update
After update properties.JPG (37.04 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
hipped1

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:30 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks. I see the problem, and it is a bug in Fund Manager. It is skipping over empty fields. We will get this fixed for the next release. As a work-around for now, if you don't leave any empty fields, it will work. You can just put a space or a 0 instead of nothing for each empty field. I've made this change to your example, and tested it here. I put a space character in custom fields 5, 6, and 7, where they were empty before. The fixed version is attached. If you'd like a pre-release where this issue is fixed, please let me know.
Attachments
Custom Properties1_fixed.csv
(38 Bytes) Downloaded 210 times
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hipped1 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:08 am

Thank you for reviewing and testing the situation.

In the interim, I will use the custom field 1 to avoid the issue until the program is modified.

Mark
hipped1

Return to General