Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

FM is rounding number of shares

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Erik » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:28 am

Hi,

I just discovered that in some cases both the number of shares and the price are rounded off / wrongly calculated. The calculated total value is correct. See attachment...

INPUT
Number of shares purchased: 60
Price: USD 76.02
Exchange rate to default (EUR): 1.1379

RESULT
Number of shares purchased: 69.180 (??)
Price: 57.942 (?? - this should be: 76.02/1.1379 = EUR 66.80)

I understand that the price OR the total value is calculated based on the value/tab that was entered first. But the number of shares should never be rounded off / recalculated, right?

Can you help?

Thanks & regards,

Erik
Attachments
fundmanscrsht.gif
fundmanscrsht.gif (79.03 KiB) Viewed 1220 times
Erik

Postby Erik » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:58 am

Addendum: I just realised that it must be related to a split that was recorded on the 4th of march 2019, as the ratio 1153:1000 explains the difference.

However, we still hold the original amount of 60 shares (not 69.180). Apparently our broker compensated this by transferring a new stock into our account: 220 pieces of "LIVENT CORP" for "free" (no amount).

This leaves the question: how do I record this in FM? Should I remove the split from the data register, and just add the new stock 'for free' (if at all possible)? Or is there a better way?

Thanks & regards,

Erik
Erik

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:52 am

Hi Erik,

Yes, the split would explain why FM is displaying 69.18 shares, and not 60. There is an option in FM to display everything "split adjusted", so that you can see everything in current share terms. See "View / Split Adjusted" from the main menu.

How to record this depends on what exactly happened? You started with 60 shares, and ended up with 60 shares, but there was a split and you received some other shares? What are the details of how that happened? Was it a spin-off? Was it a split, and you sold some shares to pay for these other shares? You might want to research the details with your broker or the broker statement. I can try to help with the details of what to record once we understand what happened.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General