Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Delete Portfolio

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Glenn Hall » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:51 pm

How can I completely delete a portfolio along with all items contained in that portfolio?
Glenn Hall

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:15 am

Hi Glenn Hall,

Are you asking about a sub-portfolio or a whole *.mm4 portfolio file?

Sub-Portfolio:
Use the Portfolio Editor, and right mouse click and "Close" the sub-portfolio you want removed. This will also close any investments located in that sub-portfolio.

*.mm4 Portfolio File:
Use "File / Close Portfolio". Closing a portfolio file closes all investments as well.

This does not "delete" the files from your hard drive, it only closes them out of Fund Manager. They could be re-opened again if you wanted. If you really want them deleted off your hard drive, you must go do that outside of Fund Manager with File Explorer (or something similar) in Windows.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aldenxi » Sun May 03, 2020 10:01 am

Understand above, but how do you remove the entry from list that appears when you press 'File'?
aldenxi

Postby Mark » Sun May 03, 2020 10:38 am

Hi aldenxi,

The list of portfolio files (*.mm4) listed at the bottom of the File menu are your most recently opened portfolio files. You can't easily remove any that you aren't planning to use. You can simply ignore them. You could also remove this listing by using "Options / General Preferences... / Menu" and setting "Portfolios in File Menu" to 0.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aldenxi » Sun May 03, 2020 11:39 am

So be it, thanks Mark.
aldenxi

Postby paullayzell » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:28 am

Hi Mark
This follows on from the previous question.
Love the product!
I've just reinstalled FM on my new compute and have successfully transferred my data.
However, everytime I open FM, I get a graph from one of the sample portfolios that comes with the product (cost.mm4). I have tried closing this portfolio and opening my own one, but everytime it defaults back to the sample portfolio.
How can I get rid of the sample portfolio and ensure the opening defaults to my portfolio.
Paul
paullayzell

Postby Mark » Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:26 am

Hi Paul,

Check the properties of the shortcut you're using to start Fund Manager. It may be pointing to the cost.mm4 portfolio file, thus forcing that one to open. By default, if you just start FM.exe without any arguments it will re-open your last opened *.mm4 file.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby paullayzell » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:20 am

Thanks Mark.
I have removed the old shortcut and when I start FM it goes in to a blank portfolio with the portfolio wizard. I then exit the wizard and open my portfolio. However, when I exit FM and go back in again, I don't go to the last portfolio opened, but get the Portfolio Wizard again.

Any ideas?

Is there an option to say 'remember last portfolio'?
paullayzell

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:33 pm

Hi Paul,

Yes, the option is on by default, but you can make sure it is still on. See:

Options / General Preferences... / Data / Open Last Portfolio at Startup

Also, I'd suggest making sure you're not starting FM with Admin permissions. It should start just as a regular user. If you install FM, there will be a shortcut under the "Start" menu in a folder called "Fund Manager".
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby paullayzell » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:55 pm

All good now. I must have switch off the 'Last portfolio' option at some point.
paullayzell

Return to General