Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Currency problem when restoring to new laptop

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby osinv » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:19 pm

Hi,

My laptop was stolen and I have installed Fund Manager in a new one. The set up I had in my previous laptop was:

* FM.exe in C:\
* Data files in Dropbox.

I have now installed FM in a new laptop but when I check my portfolio all my investments in foreign currency seem to be wrong. As an example, the shares I bought in GBP now show the buy transaction as if I had bought them in EUR instead (EUR is my default currency).

So for instance if I paid GBP 5,000 now it shows as if I had paid EUR 5,000 instead. As a result every calculation in the portfolio involving foreign stock is wrong.

Is there a way to fix this somehow?

Thanks,

Oscar
osinv

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:40 am

Hi Oscar,

It sounds like your currency settings did not transfer somehow. You'll just want to restore your currency settings, and that will fix things. Don't make any edits to your investments themselves. The currency settings are under "Options / Currency Settings...". You would want to correct the currency symbols as you had them before, and any assigned exchange rate investments.

If you don't remember how you had the currency settings you can try restoring just your data from a *.FMB backup. That will also restore these settings.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby osinv » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:13 pm

Thank you Mark, unfortunately this didn't work. I restored the exchange rates as they were previously, and is working ok for the future, but this hasn't corrected the historical transactions in foreign currencies, the all remain as if they had been done in € (My base currency).

The only solution I have found is to manually edit one by one my current foreign currencies portfolio transactions, which I am doing. Fortunately this is only about 15% of my holdings so I will finish it in the next few days.

From now on both FM.exe as well as the data files are in Dropbox, so hopefully this will not happen again.

Thank you for your help.
osinv

Return to General