Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Strange error box

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby wizard348 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:08 pm

Edit>Internet Retrieve>Historical Prices: I set the start date and hit return. After 16 request I get a message in a rectangular box that says: Could not create Internet output log file 'C:\Users\Gary\Dropbox\Fund Manager\Logs\intlog2.txt' Please verify you have write permission to this file, and it is not in use or locked by another application.

I look and the intlog2.txt file is 683 bits while intlog2.txt and intlog3.txt are 58 bits. Also, I have all the proper permissions on the file and I don't think I have any other applications that would want to use this file. Also, this only happens on my new I7 ASUS laptop. My old Toshiba just breezes through. I will hit cancel and it will make another request before giving me another of the same messages.

I am using Fund Manager Pro 2016.

Thank you for your time.
wizard348

Postby Mark » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:32 pm

Hi wizard348,

My guess is that Dropbox is trying to sync that folder at the same time Fund Manager is trying to write to it again, thus the conflict. You might set Dropbox to not sync the "Logs" folder, and see if that doesn't resolve the issue.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hipped1 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:13 pm

HI Mark

I've recently encountered this error as well and can't figure out a good solution to the problem.

I've been using Dropbox for several years without any issues but as of this month see errors with the txt files at least daily. If I am at my computer, I hit ok and the price updates continue. If I am away from my computer, the update waits until I notice it an hit OK. The process occurs during the price update process (midstream). I have a mix of equity securities, options and some bonds so perhaps the different data sources creates this opportunity for sync issues.

I'm not sure if this is due to a change in Dropbox protocol or somehow related to the recent software upgrade. My suspicion is that the price update process at some point releases the lock on the log file and Dropbox starts the sync process and when the price update process resumes Dropbox now has a lock on the file.

As I run in portable/cloud mode, I would prefer not to ditch dropbox as this is a much more reliable cloud based solution than onedrive which I tried previously.

I've looked at turning off the sync on Dropbox but since I have a personal account, this is not an option that solves this error. I can chose not to sync the log folder but that deletes the log folder from my local account and leaves the data only on the cloud. I then get a message failed to open intlog3.txt for writing and the price update stops.

Is there an option to store the log files in a different location (other than the Dropbox folder)? Or, is it possible for FM to lock the txt files in the log until the price update process is fully completed, thereby not letting Dropbox try to sync the files?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Mark
hipped1

Postby Mark » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:10 pm

Hi Mark,

Can you just tell Dropbox to not sync the Logs folder:

C:\Users\<username>\Dropbox\Fund Manager\Logs

? You'll still have the logs on your local PC, but they just won't be synced to the cloud.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hipped1 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:41 pm

Mark

On my version of Dropbox, when I uncheck the box to sync the logs folder, Dropbox keeps the cloud files and deletes the log directory on my local PC. I then I get an error in FM during the price update since the log files are no longer located on the local PC.

If I paste back the files on my local PC in the Dropbox directory, DB automatically adds the logs directory to the files to sync.

Mark
hipped1

Postby Mark » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the explanation. That is unfortunate... Maybe in a future update we can allow you to pick the folder location for the log files.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby troscher » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:31 am

Well I was going to go the easy route before I backed up and then deleted 20 years worth of data and hope it all came back. I went into the intlog3 file opened it up in notepad and deleted the contents and saved the file as it was named.

ALL FIXED!!

Updated 14 client accounts no errors. :D
troscher

Postby troscher » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:14 pm

Update to my last post

intlog3 error still has not reared it's head. logged out yesterday and logged back in today, did my updates not troubles. I believe the deleting of the intlog3 data did the trick. Must have had an error in it that was causing the glitch.
troscher

Return to General