Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Watch Portfolio

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby gmow » Wed May 01, 2019 7:56 am

I'm hoping to create a zero value Portfolio with the primary intent to monitor a select group of stocks and create alerts. I envision once these alerts are created I'll be able to monitor the graph of these selected stocks.

Currently, I have a master portfolio with an All Accounts Sub Portfolio with individual accounts and investment within
Master\All Accounts\ABC Institution\Investment A

Do I create a sub portfolio under Master or All Accounts?
Can I copy individual investments into the Watch Portfolio? Zero Value?

OR is there a better way to create a graph display with a select group of investments? A selected group of investments spread over multiple portfolios?
gmow

Postby Mark » Wed May 01, 2019 8:41 am

Hi gmow,

Yes, you could just create a watchlist under "Master Portfolio", so that it doesn't affect your "All Accounts" level. Yes, you can copy investments into this new sub-portfolio. An investment can belong in multiple sub-portfolios. If you make an edit in that investment, it is reflected everywhere that investment is located. Use the Portfolio Editor to copy the investment. Drag/drop while holding down Ctrl is an easy way (if you don't hold down Ctrl, it is a move). Drag from the list on the right, and drop onto the desired sub-portfolio on the left. Here is a relevant tutorial:

https://youtu.be/1GUCo0Hua90
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Wed May 01, 2019 8:57 am

Hello,

Personally, I've chosen such a portfolio structure:

Code: Select all
MASTER
    ACCOUNTS
        Account A
        Account B
        Account C
    MARKETS
        North America
        South America
        Asia
        Europe
        Africa and Middle East
        Commodities
        Sectors
             Energy
             Techno
             Industrials
        Various
             Indicators

Each subportfolio in MARKETS can include :
- indexes
- currency pairs
- relative strengths
- 10 year yield
- ETF, stocks, mutual funds...
- etc.
as soon as it is related to the theme of the subportfolio

So the subportfolios in MARKETS are dedicated to market analysis, and act as an "investment library" too (a watch list).

I always look for investment opportunities starting from the subportfolios in MARKETS. When I've identified an investment opportunity and I want to trigger an operation, I first create a new instance of the investment I want to invest in from MARKETS to the appropriate account (if it's not already in it) with the command "New investment from existing".
So, with this structure, the transactions are always recorded in ACCOUNTS (and each investment in ACCOUNTS has at least one transaction recorded), and never a transaction is recorded in MARKETS.
Djobydjoba

Postby gmow » Wed May 01, 2019 2:38 pm

Mark wrote:Hi gmow,

Yes, you could just create a watchlist under "Master Portfolio", so that it doesn't affect your "All Accounts" level. Yes, you can copy investments into this new sub-portfolio. An investment can belong in multiple sub-portfolios. If you make an edit in that investment, it is reflected everywhere that investment is located. Use the Portfolio Editor to copy the investment. Drag/drop while holding down Ctrl is an easy way (if you don't hold down Ctrl, it is a move). Drag from the list on the right, and drop onto the desired sub-portfolio on the left. Here is a relevant tutorial:

https://youtu.be/1GUCo0Hua90

Mark, understood except for the copy of the investment. I tried to copy an investment and it copied with the share holdings as well into the watchlist. I'd prefer to copy the Investment but not the share qty. Copying the investment and share qty effect the "Master Portfolio" value?
gmow

Postby Mark » Wed May 01, 2019 3:30 pm

Hi gmow,

If you don't want to copy the transactions, just use "File / File Operations / New Investment from Existing...". This allows you to create a new investment but keep pricing/property information. You have control over whether to copy pricing/transaction data when using this command.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gmow » Wed May 01, 2019 7:31 pm

Perfect, exactly what I was looking for.
gmow

Return to General