Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Retaining all dat files vs using a backup (fmb) file

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby dbender54 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:56 pm

I was backing up my FundManager folder and was a bit surprised at the number of files in that folder (used FM since ~2009?). Recognizing these files represent the individual investments and transactions, if I’m reinstalling FM what is the downside to, at some point using a backup (fmb) to start with, vs copying the folder with the thousands of dat files?
dbender54

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:32 am

Hi dbender54,

As long as your FMB file was created with a portfolio that had all your investments in it, there is no downside. It is actually the recommended method for transferring your data to a new computer. The FMB file will contain all your investment files in the portfolio you had open when it was created. If you have un-opened investment files on your hard drive, these won't be included.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dbender54 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:07 am

Thank you.
While I was watching all the dat files being copied across to my server for backup, I could see all the symbols of past investments flash by, prompting me to think, oh, I lost money on that one or made money on the other. :)
Appreciate the quick response.
dbender54

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:16 am

Hi dbender54,

Typically if you've sold all the shares of an investment you would want to "hide" that investment, and not "close" it. Keeping it hidden, keeps it in your portfolio (and thus FMB backups). Closing an investment will leave the *.dat file on your hard drive, but it won't be included in your portfolio, or in a FMB file.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General