Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

suggestion on how to handle fund exchanges?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby sspeed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:15 pm

I'm having some trouble with accurate cost basis on some 401k fund exchanges.

For example, on Sep 28, 2018, Fidelity exchanged the Freedom 2035 K fund for the Freedom 2035 K6 fund. Fund Manager picked it up and properly listed it as an exchange. They have done this twice now.

Here's the problem, it picks up the value that day as the cost basis as that is day one of the new fund, which isn't correct.

I'm trying to think of how I would fix this without completely screwing up my data. I guess I could go back and migrate the prior funds transactions to the new fund and basically delete the exchange value?

Is there a better way? Can I merge them all somehow?
sspeed

Postby sspeed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:20 pm

Along those same lines, I have some stock ETP that merged into ET.

Fund Manager picked it up as a merger and did the transfer, but there is no cost basis at all. Should I just go in and manually fix that by adding my original cost basis to the purchase price on the day of the merger?
sspeed

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:13 pm

Hi sspeed,

For transactions like these it is often best to just record a split transaction, and then change the name/symbol/cusip properties. For example, if you owned 100 shares of 2035 K and that exchanged for 104 shares of 2035 K6 record a 104 for 100 split. This is <new shares> for <old shares> and those 2 numbers can be anything, including fractional shares. After this, right mouse click on the investment, and go to "Properties..." to change the name/symbol/cusip.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sspeed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:21 pm

Thank you, so when I do that, just transfer all the transactions over manually?

For example, this happened first on Sep 8, 2017. So go to my original investment, add a split and do the share amount from the old investment to the share amount of the new investment. Then transfer all of the transactions over manually?

Then it happened again on Sep 28, 2018, so do the same thing. Take the shares of the old investment and do a split to the share amount of the new. Then transfer all transactions from Sep 28, 2018 until today across and change the name/symbol/cusip to the current?

I don't see a way I can export and import the entire transaction list for a specific share, correct?
sspeed

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:29 pm

Hi sspeed,

You wouldn't need to transfer any transactions. You don't have a "new" investment. You simply record the split in the existing investment, where all your original transactions are recorded. If you have a "new" investment that came in when you retrieved transactions, just close it (after getting the name/symbol/CUSIP properties from that new investment to apply to your existing/old investment). Each time this type of event happens, just record another split with a ratio of <new shares> for <old shares>.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sspeed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:43 pm

Thanks for humoring me. Just so I can be sure.

I have FID FREEDOM K 2035 (CUISP 2179) with recorded transactions from 4/14/2017 to 9/8/2017 with about 20 transactions. Cost basis before that is lost, but oh well.

FID FREEDOM 2035 K (CUISP 3026) from 9/8/2017 to 9/28/2018 with around 30 transactions

FID FREEDOM 2035 K6 (CUISP 2995) from 9/28/2018 to present with about 15 transactions.

If just do a split on the 2179 to 3026, and then a split from 3026 to 2995, won't I lose all those transactions?
sspeed

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:52 pm

Hi sspeed,

What actually happened on those dates where shares were exchanged? Was there a sell of one and a buy of another? Or, did you just get X shares of 2179 converted into Y shares of 3026? The later is my assumption. If you sold/bought, then you would want to record the sell in 2179 and a buy in 3026, which is a separate investment. If it was just a share exchange, without a sell/buy, then you use the split technique. If you do use the split technique you want all the transactions in the same investment. You wouldn't have 3 investments in the case, you'd just have 1. You can copy/paste all the transactions in one shot using the Data Register. See the Data Register Tutorial on how to copy/paste transactions. You use the "Shift" key to select all of them, right click and "Copy" and then switch to the desired investment, and "Paste".
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sspeed » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:55 pm

Thank you, the Data Register sounds like what I'd need. The funds were just exchanged like for like, so no actual transaction happened. But I just left them and had the 3 separate items. In the future I'll the to get it as it happens so I can avoid this mess. :)
sspeed

Return to General