Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Renamed Investments - Erasing old filenames

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby nebfinfm » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:42 am

Hi Mark,

I renamed several Investment (DAT) files using the "Save Investment as.." method. At the time I didn't erase the old files. Now, I would like to clean the FMbackup folder from those old filenames. I don't know how to locate the old unused files, or pair them with renamed files - I'm afraid of erasing live files. Can you suggest solution?

Thanks nebfinfm
nebfinfm

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:48 am

Hi nebfinfm,

Here is a technique you can use:

1) Use "File / Backup..." and save a backup, just in case.
2) Create a new/empty folder for your data
3) Use "File / File Operations / Set Data Location..." and move all your data into the folder from step 2.
4) Exit FM, and you can then go delete all the files in the original folder
5) Start FM back up, and if you want your data back in the original folder, use "File / File Operations / Set Data Location..." again, and move it back. You can then delete the folder from step 2.

Please note, this only works if you are only using a single *.mm4 file. If you have multiple *.mm4 portfolio files, you would have to repeat this for each portfolio file, before deleting anything. Also, when deleting, it is safer if you temporarily move the files into another folder, just in case. Once you've confirmed you can start FM without any errors, you can delete this temporary folder/files.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby nebfinfm » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:22 am

Hi Mark, It works, many thanks..... nebfinfm
nebfinfm

Return to General