Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Remember Window Positions

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby onlyme » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:54 am

Hi Mark,
I'm having an issue with Personal Version 2018.15.4.100. I can't get the window positions to be saved/remembered between sessions. I've read that saving the portfolio is supposed to save the position of windows, but when I re-open the program they are not in the same position (i.e. Stacking Order) as they were when I saved the portfolio and closed the program. Is there another setting I should be using? I'm running Windows 10 Home 64 bit.
--
Max
onlyme

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:25 pm

Hi Max,

The order of the windows under the "Window" menu are not necessarily retained. The window position that is memorized in your *.mm4 portfolio file is the starting coordinate and size of the window itself. This doesn't matter if you have the windows in the maximized state, but when you have them in the restored state they are located at a certain position on the screen, and have a size, different than the parent Fund Manager window.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby onlyme » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:23 pm

Hi Mark,
I wasn't even looking at the order of the windows in the "Windows" menu. :o I was referring to the physical placement of the 5 windows (4 reports & 1 graph) that I keep visible in the maximized Fund Manager Main window at all times. It's rather a pain not to be able to start the program and have the reports and graph appear as they were when I closed the program. They are all positioned in such a way as to be optimally visible to my personal taste. But, I suppose there are far bigger irritants in today's world such that I can live with this. 8) Thanks for the explanation.
--
Max
onlyme

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:43 am

Hi Max,

You should be able to do this. If you position the windows, use "File / Save Portfolio", exit, and re-start, the windows aren't restored to the same coordinates/size?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby onlyme » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:35 am

Hi Mark,

Yes, they are indeed restored to the same coordinates and size, but the stacking order is not the same as it was when I saved the portfolio and closed the program.

When I close the program two report windows were at the top of the stack with a graph window behind them (3rd in the stacking order), and finally two additional report windows exist at stacking positions 4 & 5 behind that graph window. When I reopen the program the graph window is now on top of the report that was #2 in the stacking order. The result is such that the top report window is as it was when I closed the program, but the report originally at #2 in the stack is now at #3 with the graph window being displayed on top of it at position #2 in the stack of windows.

I'm probably not being very clear about this, so I'm happy to send you a couple of screenshots via email showing the situation I'm describing. Let me know.

--
Max
onlyme

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi Max,

Thanks for the clarification, I understand. I took a closer look at how the windows stack order (aka Z order) is restored when opening a portfolio. Here is how it is working:

1) First, all the Report windows are restored, to their same stack order (relative to all other report windows) as when the portfolio was saved.
2) Next, all the Graph windows are restored, to their same stack order (relative to all other graph windows) as when the portfolio was saved.
3) Next, if the Portfolio Editor window was open, it is restored.
4) Finally, whatever window was on the top of the stack order of all window types at the time of saving, that window is brought to the top of the stack.

So, the stack order is being maintained, but only within each window type (report, graph, or portfolio editor). It is not strictly maintained across different window types. This is consistent with your description of what is happening in your case. I agree it would be better to maintain the stack order across all different window types. Hopefully this is something we can improve in the future.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby onlyme » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:29 pm

Mark,

Thanks ever so much for that explanation. It is one that I can fully comprehend. If at some point in the future the Z-order begins to be maintained across different window types I'll certainly recognize it when it happens. But, as mentioned before, the reported condition is not something that will make usage of this wonderful software any less of a pleasure. :D

Best,

Max
onlyme

Return to General